Moparts

Incorrect 70 E-body ignition switch tumbler and/or housing

Posted By: hemi68charger

Incorrect 70 E-body ignition switch tumbler and/or housing - 05/18/19 03:20 AM

Operation "is this a proper 70 key cylinder"?
This cylinder will not lock into place in the steering column housing. The detent you see there seems to be too big to go into the locking hole of the steering column housing.. Or, is the steering column housing incorrect? The hole of the housing is smaller than the extent on the key cylinder.

Attached picture FB_IMG_1558149449655.jpg
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Incorrect 70 E-body ignition switch tumbler and/or housing - 05/18/19 05:05 AM

Early column collars used a cylinder with a spring loaded blade interlock, rather then the button you show. There was still a hole on collar to depress this "blade" but it's smaller. I believe I had once enlarged that hole to fit cylinder you have.

Attached picture DSCN3460.jpg
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Incorrect 70 E-body ignition switch tumbler and/or housing - 05/18/19 07:38 AM

Correct, the earliers cylinders is actually a 1 year only setup for 70s, pretty much like turning switches, althought these were extended up to first 71 half.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Incorrect 70 E-body ignition switch tumbler and/or housing - 05/18/19 01:00 PM

Great picture !!!!
I have the one on the left, so maybe I can just drill out the hole in the housing to allow the detent pin to extend into the hole so it locks properly? I guess if my detent pin style won't lock, then my friend's car is a detent blade style. So either need to get that version of the cylinder or drill out the access hole to allow pictured-style detent pin to protrude into the hole and lock as needed.

Re: Incorrect 70 E-body ignition switch tumbler and/or housing - 05/19/19 05:42 AM

Just about all ign. cylinders you see today are the later year types. If the holes are in the same location, just drill out to fit. Just makes it easier to find a new cylinder. Just that it "clicks" in securely & turns reasonably free.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Incorrect 70 E-body ignition switch tumbler and/or housing - 05/19/19 06:35 PM

Something else to keep in mind. 1970 only switches are satin chrome finish .....where as modern replacements (aka 1971 and later ) ate bright chrome finish. )
That is if final appearances matter to you.

Re: Incorrect 70 E-body ignition switch tumbler and/or housing - 05/20/19 06:18 AM

Quite Right: Not that obvious until you see them side-by-side.
© 2024 Moparts Forums