Moparts

'62 Power Brakes

Posted By: TooMany62s

'62 Power Brakes - 05/12/19 11:20 AM

I converted my '62 Sport Fury convertible to front disc brakes using M body parts years ago. The car was originally a non-power brake car and I left it that way. I'm considering adding a power booster. I have an original '62 booster. What else do I need. I'm told the firewall mounting plate is different. How about the push rod? Anything else?
Posted By: bobby66

Re: '62 Power Brakes - 05/12/19 03:01 PM

Isn't there a little bell crank assembly on the pedal for power brakes? Maybe hunt down the manual for it and be sure?
Posted By: Sniper

Re: '62 Power Brakes - 05/12/19 05:08 PM

The 62 parts manual is HERE,

You can look up and see what all is different but generally speaking drum booster put out less assist than disc boosters because drum brakes are self energizing and do not need the added assist.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: '62 Power Brakes - 05/12/19 07:59 PM

The pedal ratio is different for power/manual. In many cases the firewall plate will position the booster on the firewall to align with a second hole in the pedal but not sure if that is the case with the '62 B-body. If no second hole, the pedal may have to be replaced.

Re: '62 Power Brakes - 05/12/19 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
The pedal ratio is different for power/manual. In many cases the firewall plate will position the booster on the firewall to align with a second hole in the pedal but not sure if that is the case with the '62 B-body. If no second hole, the pedal may have to be replaced.

The pedal ratio is taken care of by the linkage Z bar setup in a power application, no Z bar in a manual

1963 parts book shows 2 pedals, manual or auto trans.
70/71 manual shows the same for A and B bodies, C and D are their own issues.

Attached picture 63 pedal.JPG
Attached picture 70-71 pedal.JPG
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: '62 Power Brakes - 05/12/19 10:15 PM

There's no linkage between the pedal and the booster push rod on an early B, booster pushrod connects directly to the pedal.

Attached picture 1962 B Body.PNG

Re: '62 Power Brakes - 05/12/19 11:32 PM

Still doesn't show more than two choices for a pedal, one for a manual trans and one for an automatic. Difference being pedal width and nothing more. If you look att the brake and clutch linkage drawings it appears the pedal has two pivot holes, must be all of them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums