Moparts

Best thread sealant for fuel fittings.

Posted By: 73cuda340

Best thread sealant for fuel fittings. - 05/10/19 11:12 PM

What seems to be the best sealant for sealing fuel fittings? I've read good things about the Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket No. 3 Sealant. Are there any better options out there? The fittings on my fuel pressure regulator have a tiny leak and I need to seal them up before something catches on fire.
Posted By: robertop

Re: Best thread sealant for fuel fittings. - 05/10/19 11:34 PM

I have recently used Locktite thread sealant stick, that comes in a paste form and cannot clog fuel lines. So far so good.
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Best thread sealant for fuel fittings. - 05/11/19 12:47 AM

What about this?

Attached picture image_5ab7e39d-9f61-4d14-954c-b079508aa68c_large.jpg
Posted By: racerhog

Re: Best thread sealant for fuel fittings. - 05/11/19 01:03 AM

Will not leak after using this stuff.... But.... It's a [censored] if you have to take it apart after is sets up... But your fitting will not leak, For Sure....

https://www.zoro.com/permatex-pipe-joint-compound-16-oz-black-80045/i/G1623693/
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Best thread sealant for fuel fittings. - 05/11/19 02:01 AM

I've had good luck with this on my brake and fuel fittings.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 9.01.23 PM.png
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Best thread sealant for fuel fittings. - 05/11/19 03:27 AM

Fuel fittings shouldn't need any type of sealant, they all are metal to metal crush type 45 degree seals. If they are tight enough they seal....Otherwise on hose to line connections double up the hose clamps if you want to be extra safe.
Posted By: DZJim

Re: Best thread sealant for fuel fittings. - 05/11/19 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by HemiRick
Fuel fittings shouldn't need any type of sealant, they all are metal to metal crush type 45 degree seals. If they are tight enough they seal....Otherwise on hose to line connections double up the hose clamps if you want to be extra safe.

Like he sez...no sealant. Its a metal-to-metal situation. You maybe able to glue together low pressure liquid or gaseous connections and prevent a leak, Try that with 3,000psi aircraft hydraulic systems? or, even your wife's gas clothes dryer...read the install instruction...NO sealer/glue/compound/etc. on the flare fitting.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Best thread sealant for fuel fittings. - 05/11/19 06:20 AM

There are two different standard types of fittings used on fuel systems in America, National Pipe Thread,NPT, and inverted flare. Pipe thread usually need a pipe sealer, inverted flares do not tsk
Learn on how to identify them now and make your life easier in the future scope up
Posted By: moparx

Re: Best thread sealant for fuel fittings. - 05/11/19 02:16 PM

like cab says, NO sealant on flared fittings ! taper pipe needs sealant. i use loctite 567. it works with gasoline and oils, plus, it also acts as a thread galling preventer.
beer
Posted By: gzig5

Re: Best thread sealant for fuel fittings. - 05/11/19 02:19 PM

I'm using the Permatex Aviation this week when I put in the new AVS2 Carb. The Holley pressure regulator and the carb inlet hard line both have NPT threads. The fuel system is not the place to screw around with marginal or inappropriate sealants.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Best thread sealant for fuel fittings. - 05/11/19 02:57 PM

Sealer
Posted By: 73cuda340

Re: Best thread sealant for fuel fittings. - 05/12/19 02:16 AM

I have one of the Holley Hp billet regulators with NPT fittings, so no flare fittings.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Best thread sealant for fuel fittings. - 05/12/19 02:43 PM

I must be OLD! I still have a few rolls of teflon tape............ whistling Most of my fitting these days are AN.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Best thread sealant for fuel fittings. - 05/12/19 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee

that is also very good. up i intend to go to that when my 567 supply is done.
beer
Posted By: TJP

Re: Best thread sealant for fuel fittings. - 05/12/19 05:21 PM

Having spent several years in positions that dealt with high to ultra high vacuum chambers, loctite became my friend when trying to seal pipe thread connections. If it won't let a helium molecule through at 10-8 torr its not going to leak period. I used the hardening types due to the out-gassing of the paste types twocents beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums