Moparts

Remove vinyl stripes from white 1970 Challenger

Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Remove vinyl stripes from white 1970 Challenger - 05/08/19 05:28 AM

Friend owns a white Vanishing Point 1970 Challenger. However has black vinyl stripes at belt line front fender to rear quarter.

He wishes to remove. We are considering a heat gun, not certain if this will allow removal without tearing into pieces as has been on for possibly 50 years. There are also chemical solutions.

Seeking advice from those who have done this.

The other concern of course, is what to expect when stripes removed. The sun on bare paint will certainly be faded or colored differently than that protected by the stripes. Will this be an insurmountable problem, or can this problem be buffed away with a combination of polishes, wool and foam pads, and both rotary and orbital buffer. I own several of each and am fairly proficient and careful in usage.

Do not yet know if single stage as per original, or is it base coat/clear coat finish. I will ascertain once I take a buffer to it.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Remove vinyl stripes from white 1970 Challenger - 05/08/19 01:59 PM

If it's the original paint it is acrylic enamel and most likely will be different looking underneath the stripe. You may or may not be able to polish it and get it to all match up.

I would try a heat gun or hair dryer and go slow. I doubt the paint would come off with the decal, but being careful won't hurt.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Remove vinyl stripes from white 1970 Challenger - 05/08/19 04:13 PM

-I've used the 3M decal adhesive remover in a spray can to remove decals/stripe and glued on factory emblems off enamel and lacquer painted vehicles with no ill effects to the paint...depending on how long the stripe has been on the car you may get lucky and have no noticeable trace of the stripe.. otherwise you may be looking at a colorsanding/buff/polish, if it's a 50 yr old factory stripe/factory paint, or been on for a decade or more, chances are you'll be looking at a repaint
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Remove vinyl stripes from white 1970 Challenger - 05/08/19 04:14 PM

Don't forget about "plastic razor blades", Not sure who carries them, but they will come in handy when removing decals and you have to protect the paint.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Remove vinyl stripes from white 1970 Challenger - 05/08/19 07:53 PM

What about one of those 3M erasers you mount to a drill? shruggy

(I have no personal connection to this link)

Posted By: moparx

Re: Remove vinyl stripes from white 1970 Challenger - 05/09/19 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Locomotion
Don't forget about "plastic razor blades", Not sure who carries them, but they will come in handy when removing decals and you have to protect the paint.

TITAN tools make plastic razor blades. the bag has 'em if your local parts house doesn't.
beer
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Remove vinyl stripes from white 1970 Challenger - 05/10/19 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Satilite73

What about one of those 3M erasers you mount to a drill? shruggy

(I have no personal connection to this link)

These work excellent!
© 2024 Moparts Forums