Moparts

94 Jeep GC- HVAC fan runs WFO with the key off.

Posted By: 74RALLYE

94 Jeep GC- HVAC fan runs WFO with the key off. - 04/28/19 01:10 PM

The HVAC blower motor on Pop's 94 Jeep GC runs WFO with the ignition key removed. I looked at a shop manual and suspect that a relay or control module might be the problem. The manual didn't show the physical location of any of these components. I'm guessing I need to pull the dash to find them.
Has anyone seen or fixed an issue like this? The Jeep also has the Automatic Temperature Control option. I tried pulling all of the relays and connectors that I could physically reach with no luck. Also, the AC compressor will not come on while the fan is in this WFO mode.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 94 Jeep GC- HVAC fan runs WFO with the key off. - 04/28/19 03:11 PM

WFO is Wide F+++ Open? I would think the main fuse for the blower would be under the hood in the big fuse box. Did you pull that?

Re: 94 Jeep GC- HVAC fan runs WFO with the key off. - 04/28/19 03:35 PM

Yes, the fuse will shut down the blower motor, but that doesn't fix the problem.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 94 Jeep GC- HVAC fan runs WFO with the key off. - 04/28/19 04:59 PM

I know nothing but duck duck go comes up with this one

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/1993-jeep-grand-cherokee-blower-motor-wont-turn-off

it's a head scratcher

Re: 94 Jeep GC- HVAC fan runs WFO with the key off. - 04/28/19 05:09 PM

Thanks for the link, but I finally found a thread on a Jeep forum that matches my problem. It's likely the motor control resistor. You would think a resistor only goes open when defective, but I think it's more like a solid state speed controller.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 94 Jeep GC- HVAC fan runs WFO with the key off. - 04/28/19 05:21 PM

Pretty sure they are two names for the same thing.

RA has them, price isn't too bad unless you have the automatic temperature control setup, then it's pricey.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 94 Jeep GC- HVAC fan runs WFO with the key off. - 04/29/19 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by 74RALLYE
Yes, the fuse will shut down the blower motor, but that doesn't fix the problem.

yes I know, just so you could shut it off until u figure it out.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 94 Jeep GC- HVAC fan runs WFO with the key off. - 04/29/19 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by 74RALLYE
Thanks for the link, but I finally found a thread on a Jeep forum that matches my problem. It's likely the motor control resistor. You would think a resistor only goes open when defective, but I think it's more like a solid state speed controller.

Pretty common actually .
Ive had the main control assy do the same thing. just not near as common

Re: 94 Jeep GC- HVAC fan runs WFO with the key off. - 04/29/19 01:24 PM

Hey Mr Yuck, Sorry for the snippy reply. I was having "one of those days"
© 2024 Moparts Forums