Moparts

Good exhaust manifolds vs stainless headers

Posted By: 71TA

Good exhaust manifolds vs stainless headers - 04/21/19 11:50 PM

The 12yo TTI headers on my 470" are wasted. So I thought mabe just get a set of decent manifolds, get them ceramic coated, 3" head pipes.Was surprised that it'd be about $1500

OR some stainless American Racing headers. About $1600.

Other than the sticker shock, thats an easy choice.

Attached picture B-Body_E-Body_Mopar_Big_Block_Headers_2000x.png
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Good exhaust manifolds vs stainless headers - 04/22/19 12:38 AM

SST headers would be cool, especially if they fit right out of the box. I might be able to help you with the sticker shock though. I converted my '65 over to headers so my coated manifolds and head pipes are now just sitting on the shelf. The manifolds should work on your car but I doubt the head pipes would be a bolt in. If you want to run coated manifolds that are in pretty good shape I can sell you these for a lot less than $1500.

You still have my old 470 in your car? If so, these manifolds were originally on that engine anyway.

Attached picture 512a.jpg

Re: Good exhaust manifolds vs stainless headers - 04/22/19 01:19 AM

Yep. Still have the 470". That sounds like a deal. I'd like to at least try the head pipes. I know many of the header companies list the headers as B/E so don't know why they wouldnt be close. Worst case I'd have to get 3" TTI head pipes. Did those head pipes dump into a TTI or Accurate exhaust? Or was it a custom exhaust?

Have to admit I'm kinda lusting over the SS headers though smile

I need to get the my car rolling again but I am slammed 18 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is the first Sun I've taken off in a LONG time and I spent it cleaning my trailer and updating my website. So much for the day off.

Just had a local small contractor put up the tin ceiling (I did that in my shop) and put a header up so I eliminated a post that was right beside my car door. 80yo houses are TIGHT.

Attached picture IMG_6630.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Good exhaust manifolds vs stainless headers - 04/22/19 04:16 AM

My head pipes dumped into a TTi exhaust system but the engine in my car is moved back a little bit from stock since I was using a motor plate. So the head pipes might come close to fitting in an E body but I'd be surprised if they dropped right into place.

Re: Good exhaust manifolds vs stainless headers - 04/22/19 05:18 AM

OK then. So I'd have to go with the 3" TTI headpipes for those manifolds.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Good exhaust manifolds vs stainless headers - 04/22/19 03:15 PM

PF&E is located in Chesterfield and can build you a pair of SS headers. I had them put me together a set of mid-length, 1 3/4" primary headers for my car since I couldn't find anything that would fit. Think I paid $1500.

Attached picture 20170731_145348.jpg
Posted By: feets

Re: Good exhaust manifolds vs stainless headers - 04/22/19 09:16 PM

As tempting as the manifolds are, they'll kill significant power. frown

Re: Good exhaust manifolds vs stainless headers - 04/22/19 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by MarkM
PF&E is located in Chesterfield and can build you a pair of SS headers. I had them put me together a set of mid-length, 1 3/4" primary headers for my car since I couldn't find anything that would fit. Think I paid $1500.

Hey Mark. What are you working on?
© 2024 Moparts Forums