Moparts

Trick to removing backing plate?

Posted By: 340wedge

Trick to removing backing plate? - 04/13/19 02:53 PM

I am in the process of rebuilding the front drum brakes, 1971 Plymouth. The bolts for the wheel cylinder are tough to get too because of the spindle so I am trying to remove the backing plate. I have all four bolts loose and can move the backing plate on the top but the bottom seems to bind and I cannot get it off. Any ideas? Thank you. up
Posted By: moparx

Re: Trick to removing backing plate? - 04/13/19 03:23 PM

if i'm thinking correctly, the bottom bolts are connected to the lower balljoint, which is connected to the lower control arm. if the assembly is hanging free, you would have the torsion bar applying tension to the ball joint. place a floorjack under the lower arm and apply tension. that should allow you to unbind the lower bolts.
please let us know how this works out.
beer
Posted By: 4mulaS

Re: Trick to removing backing plate? - 04/13/19 03:35 PM

Probably just getting hung up on the threads a bit. Just keep trying, don’t use kid gloves on it. Treat it like a rental and it should come.r
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Trick to removing backing plate? - 04/13/19 03:48 PM

Might help to unscrew the brake hose from wheel cyl first, as it's probably that weird steel angled job.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Trick to removing backing plate? - 04/13/19 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
place a floorjack under the lower arm and apply tension. that should allow you to unbind the lower bolts.

iagree Trying to remove the lower bolts through the steering arm under tension can be dangerous.
Posted By: 340wedge

Re: Trick to removing backing plate? - 04/13/19 04:36 PM

beerThank you MoparX, I put the jack under the control arm and it came right off! up
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Trick to removing backing plate? - 04/14/19 04:02 AM

You are lucky you didn't hurt yourself. Might be time to invest in a FSM. If you knocked those bolts out of there while the torsion bar was under tension you could've been seriously hurt.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Trick to removing backing plate? - 04/14/19 03:33 PM

glad you got it off, and nothing [including you biggrin] was damaged !
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums