Moparts

Removing Stainless Windshield Trim

Posted By: elmor353

Removing Stainless Windshield Trim - 04/11/19 08:35 PM

I need to remove the trim around the windshield on an 87 New Yorker and wondering the best way to go about it.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Removing Stainless Windshield Trim - 04/11/19 11:20 PM

Not familiar with the 87's but back in the day I used to visit the local junk yards to see how the trim was attached, and maybe "practice" on a few cars whistling beer
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Removing Stainless Windshield Trim - 04/12/19 02:35 PM

Something from the local parts store should have one to get under it. Sorry, can't seem to post a picture

Posted By: BcudaChris

Re: Removing Stainless Windshield Trim - 04/12/19 03:20 PM

I just had my windshield cracked removed (gotta love zero deductible glass coverage!) and am rehabbing my dash before taking my car (E-body) to the shop for the install. The glass tech (safelite) had this tool with a screwdriver handle coming into a wide fork with two flattened ends, parallel and bent at maybe a 30* angle. The whole thing was rubber coated except for the tips. I had removed the end caps and lower strip before he arrived and left the clipped on trim pieces for him to deal with.

I watched him move that tool along the outside edge until he came to a clip retainer pin, then he straddled the pin with the tool, lifted up a bit and popped the clip off the pin. He did mangle two of the clips, but they have new ones at the shop. I imagine the later cars use a similar retention method.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: Removing Stainless Windshield Trim - 04/12/19 09:15 PM

I would think it looks something like this.

Attached picture DSC00370.JPG
Posted By: elmor353

Re: Removing Stainless Windshield Trim - 04/12/19 10:12 PM

Cool! I have to run to the parts store anyway, so I will look for one.
Posted By: dodgy

Re: Removing Stainless Windshield Trim - 04/15/19 09:32 AM

I use a ground down butter knife for windscreen trim

[Linked Image]
Posted By: moparx

Re: Removing Stainless Windshield Trim - 04/15/19 02:38 PM

that's an innovative tool ! stuff like that always intrigues me.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums