Moparts

Axle straps

Posted By: cdstl

Axle straps - 03/18/19 01:47 PM

I'm looking for a good set of axle tie down straps. I plan on loading a 2nd Gen CTD onto a trailer to bring home at some point. I've decided that a 24" axle strap is a minimum, and then a ratchet strap to hook onto those.

Rhino USA seems to have a good product.

Mac's seem to be pretty good too.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
Posted By: therocks

Re: Axle straps - 03/18/19 04:51 PM

We got ours from Summit.IIRC they were their brand along with their tie downs.That was about 15 years ago.Still like new.Rocky
Posted By: topside

Re: Axle straps - 03/18/19 05:14 PM

Mac's is about as good as you can get.
But I've bought others at car shows & swap meets that have been plenty adequate for many years now.
I've avoided those yellow ones from hardware/home stores for automotive use ever since having one fray in half almost 30 years ago.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Axle straps - 03/18/19 11:45 PM

I always use Macs, wouldn't trust anything thats called Rhino... biggrin
Posted By: frank

Re: Axle straps - 03/19/19 01:33 AM

I use Rhino. Good product and last long time.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Axle straps - 03/20/19 12:03 PM

A strap on the rear axle will often slide to the side. Outside it is usually towards the shock absorber body, not a great situation. Inside is towards the differential, which is not an ideal place to pull a housing backwards in the middle. I'm sure it's been done 1000' s times before, including by me but for example an 8 1/4 with pressed in axle tubes, was never mean to be pulled by the middle.

What I do not recommend is attaching to anything like the frame. As the car/truck cycles the suspension. The straps will be loose on suspension compression and it will violently hit the straps as it extends.

The best method is holding the tires.
© 2024 Moparts Forums