Moparts

V5X molding question 71' Barracuda

Posted By: RUSTYNAIL

V5X molding question 71' Barracuda - 03/18/19 02:39 AM

If a car is coded for V5X and the molding has been removed, I'm assuming it has had paint work . Educate me please. Thanks

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-274331/1971-plymouth-barracuda-convertible/
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: V5X molding question 71' Barracuda - 03/18/19 07:22 AM

the 1971 Barracuda/'cuda mouldings were adhesive

Attached picture moparts 1971 Barracuda V5X.jpg
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: V5X molding question 71' Barracuda - 03/18/19 01:47 PM

Looking at the pictures the moulding was taken off to paint or restore the Barracuda and just were not put back on likely because one or more of the mouldings were damaged over its life or during take off. There are a lot of 1971 Cudas without the moulding and now have Bill Boards.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: V5X molding question 71' Barracuda - 03/18/19 05:26 PM

Nice to see that the car was left with it's original (hopefully) 318 in place, along with the "flat hood" . . . how many small block or /6 cars were built versus big block ?!?! . . . .nice to see someone appreciate the car for how it was ordered/built. Nothing wrong with doing what you want with your car . . . opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one . . . .
Posted By: jeff968

Re: V5X molding question 71' Barracuda - 03/18/19 06:02 PM

Interesting as I had a 70 Challenger V5X car and the side moldings are so different just a year earlier.

The 70 used a stud on the body line to hold a plastic clip. On the ends of door pieces there are holes where the molding uses a clip and nut combo. On top of that. the molding are bent to match the application.

I recall mine where shot so I went out and purchased the rubber style. I had to grind down the original studs but once that was set they installed in no time.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: V5X molding question 71' Barracuda - 03/18/19 06:18 PM

Back in the day I had a 71 Challenger with what I think was the same trim down the side.

It was right on the high point of the side of the car and saved the car from many door dings. You could run your hand down the side of the trim and feel the whacks it had taken.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: V5X molding question 71' Barracuda - 03/19/19 01:16 AM

Here is an original 71 Hemi Cuda that is coded for V5X side moldings. As mentioned, they are adhesive backed and are easy to remove without harming the paint. They are also extremely rare these days in mint/usable condition, the reason many people leave them off. This cars previous owner was lucky enough to locate and purchase a complete set of NOS moldings which were put on the car for OE judging. The adhesive is not very strong and it was feared that one may peel off and exit the car if driven so they were removed and stored for safe keeping but remain with the car. I think the car looks good with or without them, just a matter of personal taste.

Attached picture Cuda 71 Red-V5X Front Shot-3-09-19.jpg
Attached picture Cuda 71 Red-V5X Rear Shot-3-09-19.jpg
Attached picture Cuda Broadcast Sheet Red 71 Hemi 3-09-19.jpg
Posted By: m46rat

Re: V5X molding question 71' Barracuda - 03/19/19 01:25 PM

LOVE those "unrestored" W15 wire wheel covers on the may pictures of the car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums