Moparts

Best place for a drive shaft.

Posted By: moparborn

Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/14/19 04:39 PM

I am getting ready to install the od transmission in my truck.
Where is the best place to order a drive shaft from, best priced ,quickest delivery?
Nobody around me is open when I have the time.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/14/19 07:29 PM

Dennys driveshaft for me, local guys either screw it up or charge more.
Posted By: DartS

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/14/19 08:17 PM

Dennys.
Posted By: rustyr

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/14/19 08:39 PM

Denny's. A little on the expensive side but you get what you pay for.
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/14/19 08:43 PM

Check Tattons Driveshafts in Utah. I've ordered a couple from him.

https://www.tattonsdrivelines.com/

I got some 3" with 1350 ends/spicer solid joints for in the 225 range delivered iirc
Posted By: therocks

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/14/19 09:07 PM

Only bought one but it was Dennys.Quick service and was right on after it was ordered.It was beat on for at least 8 or 9 years till my son sold the car.Ill but another when I need one from dennys.rocky
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/14/19 10:21 PM

IMO The BEST!
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/14/19 10:36 PM

I actually get mine made at the local implement shop.
I supply the ends and dimensions and they make 'em up.
Of course I live out in farm country so that is an easy place for me to find.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/14/19 11:51 PM

Check local shops. Im not in an overly big area yet we have at least two truck shops around that do that kind of work and probably not too hard to find more if someone was willing to drive an hour or two away.

EDIT:SInce you can't make yourself available when your local places are open see if they will deliver or if they will take instruction from you over the phone if you get someone to do the drop off/pickup.
Posted By: moparpoolman

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/14/19 11:55 PM

PST Precision Shaft Technologies. Fast turnaround and reasonably priced.

http://pstds.com/
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/15/19 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by moparpoolman
reasonably priced.

Care to elaborate?
I would be more than willing to go that route if it is indeed reasonable.
I'm currently paying less than $100.oo for this service.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/16/19 02:30 PM

I have a Mark Williams 3.5" chromoly driveshaft with 1350 U-Joints. it was $498 for the driveshaft and $204 for the transmission yoke.
No vibration at all. Might be overkill for a mild build, but it works for me.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/16/19 02:37 PM

Without defining "best place" all answers are moot.

Is "best place" one that can handle the entire job with zero effort on your part?

Is "best place" one that has the cheapest price?

Is "best place" one that is local and you can easily go there with any questions or issues you have and get a personal resolution?

Best place means nothing without context.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/16/19 05:00 PM

and if being made for use behind an OD transmission with 3.73 up gear set, high speed balancing is a must in my opinion. most implement and/or big truck places do only low [1000rpm or MUCH lower] RPM balancing. my one buddy had 3 different new shafts build by 3 different implement/truck places, all balanced, and complained about vibration issues. we unhooked everything including the engine, wheels/tires/brake drums, checked runout of both yokes and the shaft tube, plus runout on the transmission input and output shafts, and ALL of these were A-OK.
everything traced back to driveshaft balance. all three shops balanced the shaft[s] at 450-650rpm.
combo was GM LT1/700R4/3.92r&p with 27" diameter tires.
and yes, the pinion angle was spot on.
just my experience and opinion.
beer
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/16/19 05:44 PM

Yep, and if it's behind a 1000hp LS or Hemi it had better be extra stout. Your usually farm/implement shop isn't going to be expert at that either.

So best place really depends
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/16/19 07:49 PM

Got mine through American Powertrain. 1350 joints. Perfect to the measurements I supplied. Works fine.
Posted By: jonesboys

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/18/19 12:40 AM

Strange Engineering ordered thru Dr Diff chrome moly new trans yoke 29 spline 1350 joints installed balanced shipped 365.00 7 to 10 days
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/18/19 12:58 AM

I ordered my Strange Engineering driveshaft and it was worth every penny. If I didn't have a bunch of Summit bucks I would have ordered one through Doctordiff. It's hard to beat the price on a CM 3" drive shaft with 1350 joints and forged yokes.
Get the PDF from Cass's website and place your order through him you wont be disappointed twocents

Gus beer
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Best place for a drive shaft. - 03/18/19 07:56 PM

I had my local Inland Truck replace the splined ends on my W200 truck drivelines. Screwed all of them up. Balancing issues and alignment issues with the yokes. Multiple trips back for reworks that I had to pay for as I was asking for something better than their "standard" procedures.
© 2024 Moparts Forums