Moparts

8 3/4 Green Bearings, loose of tight?

Posted By: NV69B7RR

8 3/4 Green Bearings, loose of tight? - 03/13/19 10:31 PM

I just bought a set of b Body axles and they have a set of the sealed "Green Bearings" (non adjustable) on them. They seem to have some resistance to them when trying to turn them. Is this normal?

I don't know much about the axles or their history and I haven't owned any axles with green bearings before.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 8 3/4 Green Bearings, loose of tight? - 03/13/19 10:47 PM

If they are new, they turn just a little stiff. If used, they should be a bit easy to spin.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 8 3/4 Green Bearings, loose of tight? - 03/14/19 01:54 AM

They are a ball bearing type bearing, not a tapered Timken tapered roller bearing like the stock types are.
I would wrap my hand around the outer race and rotate the race against the bearings for several revolutions and see if you can feel any rough or tight spots scope If so replace them twocents
Posted By: markz528

Re: 8 3/4 Green Bearings, loose of tight? - 03/14/19 02:00 AM

I do believe those are sealed bearings. If so, what you are feeling is the rubber seal. As stated, after some run time they get looser.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: 8 3/4 Green Bearings, loose of tight? - 03/14/19 03:19 AM

Usually the green bearings pull the axles in closer to the housing and the axle ends run out of end play, so you may have to grind a small amount off the end of the axle so they don't but up solid .
© 2024 Moparts Forums