Moparts

where to find water pump housing bolts?

Posted By: 69 bee

where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 12:53 AM

I'm looking to purchase the long water pump housing bolts for a 383 which go through the tensioner used on an AC car. Bolts are like 5 1/4? long 3/8 x 16. Does anyone know where I can find quality bolts for this application? I bought a bolt set but they do not come with the longer ones used on the tensioner.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

Attached picture tensioner bolts.jpg
Posted By: 70duster340

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 01:01 AM

I would suggest a place like Home Depot or Lowe's. I have been lucky locating hard to find bolts there. It may take some searching through their selection, but it's definitely possible.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 01:18 AM

Tractor Supply or Ace Hardware
Posted By: stumpy

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 01:34 AM

Fastenal
Posted By: 135sohc

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 01:55 AM

Mcmaster-Carr 91257A645
Posted By: frank

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 02:03 AM

Ace Hardware will have it

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 02:31 AM

Should i go with grade 8?

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by 69 bee

Heck ya for the money difference
Posted By: markz528

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 03:08 AM

No.

To get proper stretch of the bolt, you want to torque the bolt to 75% of proof yield (follow the torque charts). Cast iron can't handle grade 8 torque.

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by markz528

No.

To get proper stretch of the bolt, you want to torque the bolt to 75% of proof yield (follow the torque charts). Cast iron can't handle grade 8 torque.

You do know that a lot of the factory bolts were graded bolts right. LOL. Give me a break.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 03:55 AM

NO!
No need to buy that quality bolt that is only holding those brackets in compression.
Posted By: markz528

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
[quote=markz528][quote=69 bee]

You do know that a lot of the factory bolts were graded bolts right. LOL. Give me a break.

Into cast iron???? Which ones????

You don't use grade 8 bolts into cast iron per all the fastener training I have been through. You want to do it, that's fine, but don't give the OP bad advice.. I prefer to to use precision practices with everything I do (including using proper hardware) and it has served me very well in life...............

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 04:07 AM

You don't use grade 8 bolts into cast iron per all the fastener training I have been through. You want to do it, that's fine, but don't give the OP bad advice.. I prefer to to use precision practices with everything I do (including using proper hardware) and it has served me very well in life...............

I see you are an Engineer. LOL. I worked for a lot of them in the steel mill. I'll be checking my engine bolt box tomorrow to check grade markings. And Cab please tell me a few extra quarters are going to break the bank. I prefer to use studs where possible but those are even MORE expensive.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 04:38 AM

Grade 8 used for head bolts, main bolts, intake bolts, and the alternator bolt that goes in the head, on big blocks. Waterpump housing bolts are grade 5. That idler has a cast spacer that goes behind it, grade 5 with hard washers for that if memory is right.

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 04:51 AM

If you want the correct oem style bolt AMK should have them, $30 minimum. Partsmix on ebay, or megaparts may have them. Try AMK B-11455, or b11456.
Posted By: rhad

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 05:03 AM

grade 8!!!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 06:53 AM

.25 here and a few more .25 later adds to dollars peer week, pretty soon you have wasted hundred of dollars per year(where is the shruggy IMOGI?
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 12:01 PM

Grade 5 or A307 if you find them in the proper size will be fine. Grade 8 or A325 is overkill for the low tension application.

Robert

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 12:02 PM

During my 33 years of Millwright work we had our nuts bolts and washers delivered by a big name outfit. The quality of those bolts changes so much over the years that when we were taking apart machinery if it was a thru bolt with a nut on it we where better off just grabbing a burning outfit and burning them off. The materials had gotten so cheap and the last breads were so crude that when we hit them with an impact they were not going to be reusable anyway. If you want to use cheap imported junk go right ahead but for me I with spend a little more per bolt to use a better quality imported by lt. Goodluck and I can tell you one good think about the cheap stuff. When they snap off they are easier to drill for the easy out. Lol 😂 And yes when our Engineers came out of College they thought perfect World senerio until we showed them we always didn’t work in the perfect world.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/06/19 02:44 PM

Hmm, a thoughtful well reasoned explanation as to why not to use a grade 8 bolt vs a hack with a gas axe whi totally changed the issue from grade 5 vs 8 to "if you want to use cheap imported junk"

I see why the US steel industry practically fell thru it's ass.

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/07/19 03:01 AM

Obviously I'm new again to this forum. It's been about 10 years since posting and had to get a new login. Great information from everyone.

Yes, an engineer. I'd like to think a common sense one at that.

I purchases and AMK kit, but they do not come with all of the correct length bolts for the tensioner bolts or the power steering bolts. I have like 4 out of 7 needed. Need the 2 long bolts for the tensioner and the bolt which goes through the powersteering bracket/water pump housing and back to the bracket.

I'd like to mimic the stock strength bolts if possible.

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/07/19 03:26 AM

Message me how many you need and exact size and if I have them pay the USPS shipping and they are yours. I have a box full of bolts that I call my lucky box. I usually use new grade 8’s on everything I put together whenever possible with lock-tite if needed.

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/07/19 03:44 PM

It
Obviously I'm new again to this forum. It's been about 10 years since posting and had to get a new login. Great information from everyone.

Yes, an engineer. I'd like to think a common sense one at that.

I purchases and AMK kit, but they do not come with all of the correct length bolts for the tensioner bolts or the power steering bolts. I have like 4 out of 7 needed. Need the 2 long bolts for the tensioner and the bolt which goes through the powersteering bracket/water pump housing and back to the bracket.

I'd like to mimic the stock strength bolts if possible.

It appears to me they do sell what you need, just maybe not in a kit. Go to AMK, bulk, hex bolt, 3/8 and pick them. The free offer is what I would do.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: where to find water pump housing bolts? - 03/07/19 03:50 PM

Megaparts...

http://www.megapartsusa.com/search.asp
© 2024 Moparts Forums