Moparts

What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD

Posted By: Black 69 Beeper

What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/02/19 04:39 PM

Looking for recommendations as to what ignition systems you guys are running. I am almost ready to install my 383-4speed combo in my RR. I have used a standard Mopar electronic distributor before with the orange box, its ok. I really don't want to run an MSD box because I want the engine compartment to look stock(I know I could hide it) I',ve seen the revinator orange box, flame thrower billet distributors, and others. Who's had what experiences with what. I am going to drive this car, drag race this car. It's around 500-550 HP.

Attached picture motor large.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail_IMG_0535.jpg
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/02/19 05:12 PM

For 550 real hp I would probably just default to msd.

For a good alternative/not pricey ignition have had pretty good luck with mopar distributor/gm hei module (tiny, super easy to hide), and Ford TFI coil. Right now it's installed on a nearly stock 440 in my C body and I really like it. I will test it more as time goes on.

Here's a thread about it.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2621701/1.html
Posted By: RJS

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/02/19 06:31 PM

I have never used an MSD in any car I've owned in the past 42 years. I've run the MP distributor with a stock box or a chrome box recurved and dialed in even in a 10 second street car.

On the car's that came with stock dual points I then used Pertronix conversions in them and all was well also.

I loved the Rev in nator in my old Satellite that came with electronic ignition because the Black box with a Chrysler Electronic sticker on it and an ECS letter transfer (green letters) on a Black Rev in nator coil is easy to hide and the system works great and has a rev limiter.

In the 68-70 cars you can easily mount any ECU to the heater box bracket under the dash and send the wiring out through your air grabber hole, put the proper distributor tag on the distributor to hid it somewhat too. Again use the proper black coil for the system and put the ECS dry transfer on it and most would never notice.

Lastly this time with my 71 Super Bee I bought a new distributor from Rich E. on E-bay along with his Rev 7000 ECU put a FBO limiter plate in it and springs and was very impressed with it's operation and quality not to mention the price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223426178580?

So I guess what I'm saying is you have many choices and there is always a way to camouflage them and also not have to drill holes in that beautiful firewall.

Ron
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/02/19 07:19 PM

I like the FBO ignition module/coil combo. zero issues with it. other than that a simple Standard LX101 box works. I quit using any of the boxes that require the wiring stand offs at the coil.
Posted By: TJP

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/02/19 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By RJS
I have never used an MSD in any car I've owned in the past 42 years. I've run the MP distributor with a stock box or a chrome box recurved and dialed in even in a 10 second street car.

On the car's that came with stock dual points I then used Pertronix conversions in them and all was well also.

Ron

iagree

And will Add the simplicity of troubleshooting along with the availability of parts is another big plus IMO
beer
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/03/19 07:01 AM

stock dist. and chrome box done !
Posted By: fastmark

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/03/19 03:57 PM

I’ve installed four PerTronix systems in the last four cars. They are easy to hide and work fantastic. The last mopar ECU system I replaced, the owner said the car started better and ran crisper.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/03/19 06:31 PM

In my drag car I ran several different systems. Stock with chrome box, Jacobs system with stock distributor, Crane system, MSD system. All of them started right up, idled clean, and there was no appreciable difference in e.t. or m.p.h. The Crane and MSD did have some extra options that made them kind of nice like start retard, rev control, and nitrous retard compatibility. I have not tried any of the new stuff from the last decade.

The MSD E-Cruve distributors look interesting for the simplicity of dialing in the advance. Of course this can also be done with a stock unit, but it does take a little bit of an effort if you need more or less mechanical advance than what is already built into the OEM dizzy.

Bottom line is most systems are going to be very comparable in performance. Examine if there are additional capability you want with your system and then find one that provides it within a budget you want.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/03/19 07:15 PM

I'm happy with the rev-n-nator on my car. Smooth and quick start. Never miss a beat!!!
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/03/19 07:22 PM

I still run points.

Nothing simpler, nothing easier.

Works fine if you maintain them.
Posted By: Greentween

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/03/19 07:44 PM

Pertronix digital HP is only box I know of in $200 range with start up timing delay, and has other features too.

I plan to add one shortly. Mainly for start up timing delay and rev limiter. In summer after some heat soak, and 16 or more initial, that 440 will be hard to crank without it.

Yea, you can add a kill button off the tach wire to get it spin. One more thing to remember to use though.
Posted By: moparpoolman

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/03/19 07:48 PM

I run Pertronix in the cars that I want to look stock, no problems. Igniter II with their coil and a dummy ballast resistor so I can grab 12v right from the coil. Just follow the directions and DO NOT remove the green tape from the rotor!
Posted By: TheTieWrapKid

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/03/19 08:39 PM

I've used Mallory Unilite distributor - which works fine doesn't look stock though. Could probably pick up performance with the Mallory box. I like chrome box and mopar distributor all right running 2 like that now. I have a 440 with MSD occasional use starts up runs good without a choke. I liked small block dual point and hated points with old slant six cars. You might want to
figure out a good hiding spot for the MSD. Inside the car away from engine heat. Actually that would be a good idea for the chrome box also lol.
Posted By: CarsonW

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/03/19 11:43 PM

A vote for HEI module, running with Stock electronic distributor and summit e-core coil.

Faster starting and removed stumble at throttle tip in.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/04/19 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
I still run points.

The best ignition upgrade a guy could do! I’ve swapped all my cars back to points. Never been walking with points. 3 times stranded with the other “upgrades” Maintenance is the key, and if you drive a few thousand miles a year then the maintenance is a quick look. Thanks.

Anybody in the market for a MSD box and B engine distributor?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/04/19 01:37 AM

In regard to points, the old Jacobs ign bible has about 3/4 of it devoted to points (it was definitely worth acquiring), not sure what year it came out.
Posted By: jeebis44

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/04/19 06:12 AM

I daily drive my '66 Plymouth Fury III w/ 383 4bbl on the stock points system - works great and zero issues over the last 7 years

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/04/19 06:16 AM

BTW the book RR refers to is called "The doctor's step-by-step guide to optimizing your ignition" by Dr. Christopher A. Jacobs - great read!

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/05/19 03:35 AM

Hey that was my 1000th post! How about that?

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/05/19 05:10 AM

that is a milestone worth celebrating. On the ign bible I didn't know if there was a newer Jacobs version or not (I veaguely remember a reference to that iirc).

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/05/19 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By NANKET
I still run points.

The best ignition upgrade a guy could do! I’ve swapped all my cars back to points. Never been walking with points. 3 times stranded with the other “upgrades” Maintenance is the key, and if you drive a few thousand miles a year then the maintenance is a quick look. Thanks.

Anybody in the market for a MSD box and B engine distributor?
I think if I had two good prestolite distributors i'd ditch all the electronics.

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/05/19 03:15 PM

Jacobs was good stuff. Dr. Jacobs actually invented the multi-spark discharge but I believe he sold the rights to Autotronics (MSD). I still have a Jacobs pro-street box laying around. years back I talked many times to the Jacobs tech's and they told me the multi-spark capacity discharge was designed to fix GM HEI issues. the last I heard on MSD boxes is they have a 25% return rate due to problems.

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/05/19 04:26 PM

Jacobs did not invent the multi spark discharge ignition. That probably predates his birth. Earliest patent I can find that references more than one spark per ignition event was issued in 1939. It was both tube based and a non-contact electronic ignition system.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/05/19 05:32 PM

I'm surprised so many prefer points. up
That was the first lesson I learned on maintenance.
Still run points on the stuff I have that came with 'em.

Still have no problems with factory electronic stuff either.
Knock on wood.

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/05/19 05:41 PM

Points have the virtue of being cheap, easy and obvious.

electronic stuff isn't.

The factors that drove the OEM's to electronic ignition setups do not apply to me.

Do I have to worry about emissions? nope

Do I have to worry about economy? nope

Do I have to worry about a 50,000 mile warranty? nope

If my points fail I can usually fix them with whatever I have in my pockets. I cannot do that with electronic stuff and I have been fixing electronic stuff for 35 years.

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/05/19 05:48 PM

I always carry a fingernail file and a matchbook.
Have had to use 'em on occasion. Surprises some folks a bit.

I think having to maintain them is the reason folks don't use 'em.
Same reason fuel injection swaps are becoming more and more popular.

I happen to be in the same position as posted above.
Emission, nope
Economy, nope.
Warranty nope.
up

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/05/19 06:34 PM

Jacobs did not invent the multi spark discharge ignition. That probably predates his birth. Earliest patent I can find that references more than one spark per ignition event was issued in 1939. It was both tube based and a non-contact electronic ignition system.
ok. maybe I should have said the first marketable capacitive discharge for the aftermarket auto world. slice and dice but it's my understanding that there wouldn't be an MSD box without Jacobs.

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/05/19 06:35 PM

What was the advantage of dual points over the single points?

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/05/19 06:37 PM

Longer duration = hotter spark.

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/05/19 06:37 PM

Also, in his book Dr. Jacobs mentions a nifty little device he came up with and sold for a while consisting of a dash-mounted unit that allows you to fine tune the ignition timing for different gas / driving conditions. That sure would be nice to have...

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/05/19 06:45 PM

^^^ I got one of those (still on the shelf tho). In the Jacobs bible he has top notch info on maxing out points, (2 condensors in series & more). I liked useing 2 batteries & giveing 24 volts during WOT then in the corners you let off & it goes back to 12V & things cool. We cant use 2 batteries so that mixes that (for me). EDIT on a points dist, confirm the bushings/shaft radial play at the top (where the points are) is minimal (new bushings if needed) & shim the lower shaft end play to .005" (speedway mtrs has a kit of (5) shims for cheap).
Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/07/19 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by RJS

Ron

iagree

And will Add the simplicity of troubleshooting along with the availability of parts is another big plus IMO
beer

What’s more simple than MSD box? Also no parts are needed when they don’t fail the MSD 6AL box in my Demon is at least 20 years old. If you’re speaking of caps and rotors well if you aren’t keeping a spare with you at all times then that’s your fault.

(You’re, your and you are directed as generalizations not at anyone in particular so that no one gets butt hurt)
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/07/19 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by cdwmotorsports

What’s more simple than MSD box? Also no parts are needed when they don’t fail the MSD 6AL box in my Demon is at least 20 years old. If you’re speaking of caps and rotors well if you aren’t keeping a spare with you at all times then that’s your fault.

(You’re, your and you are directed as generalizations not at anyone in particular so that no one gets butt hurt)

considering the car wiring and engine bay locations are ready for the stock unit... A PERFORMANCE UNIT FITTING JUST LIKE ANY STOCK replacement is WAY easier LOL.

aaand I already have got two friends with damaged MSD Box &/or RTR MSD dist. Being overseas, thats a headache!

and about the YOU note... that's a problem we don't have in spanish, because we have two diff "you", one for single and one for plural LOL
Posted By: skyhawk61

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/09/19 04:39 AM

Running a set of NORS Sorensen cross-cut high performance points and condenser in a '68 Chrysler distributor. Chrysler/ or aftermarket electronic boxes (insert color here, orange, black, chrome,etc) have left me walking too many times. I can fix a point/condenser problem on the road quickly, cheaply. Thousands of miles and so far no issues
Posted By: moparx

Re: What ignition systems r u running 383 other than Mopar-MSD - 03/09/19 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by cdwmotorsports

you forgot Yunz, You'ns, Youse, Yinz, and Yizens. biggrin
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums