Moparts

Impact sensitive Fuel cutoff switch?

Posted By: jcc

Impact sensitive Fuel cutoff switch? - 03/01/05 05:03 AM

Any body know who makes them or who sells them? I remember seeing them a number of years ago to shut off electric fuel pumps in a hard crash. Seemed like a good/safe idea. Any comments? couldn't be much of a problem in a street car, but a race car (non drag) might be more problems then it solves?
Posted By: blown340

Re: Impact sensitive Fuel cutoff switch? - 03/01/05 05:17 AM

Ron Francis has them, and yes they are a excellent thing to have.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~0000278a~AAAOB~77.50~~~~1GN00O92K~

-Jon
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Impact sensitive Fuel cutoff switch? - 03/01/05 05:21 AM

On Efi vehicles its called an inertia switch, typically a magnetic switch with a spring trying to seperate the contacts if its shocked hard enough it opens..generally good, but sometimes slamming a door or trunklid will open it as far as on a race vehicle if the car hooks good the violence of the launch can cause the switch to open
Posted By: topside

Re: Impact sensitive Fuel cutoff switch? - 03/01/05 05:22 AM

They've been on Fords since they went to EFI, and are generally mounted in the trunk, away from the tank & electric pump; might be adaptable to an aftermarket pump.
To be honest, it's not something I've worried about; there's a switch on my dash and a master cutoff on the rear of the car per NHRA rules. But if no-one's around & your bell is really rung, an impact-switch could be a nice thing to have. I guess the thing to find out is at what impact the Ford unit activates; I can tell you that I once hit a chunk of tire on the freeway that whacked the LR wheelwell of a Ford I was driving and shut the pump off. So I think it was fairly sensitive.
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: Impact sensitive Fuel cutoff switch? - 03/01/05 12:30 PM

the belt parkway in brooklyn can cause them to open, especially when going over a draw bridge. Don't ask me how I know.
© 2024 Moparts Forums