Moparts

So, where did YOU mount your MSD?

Posted By: Shoozy

So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/29/18 07:26 PM

Looking for ideas to keep it somewhat subtle

'72 Plymouth b-body, big block, Digital 6AL that doesn't really fit under the battery tray...
Posted By: dvw

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/29/18 07:39 PM

MSD fits fine under a 1970 B body tray. Is a 72 that much different?
Doug
Posted By: buildanother

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/29/18 07:51 PM

80 volare. In the plastic lined glove box.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/29/18 08:10 PM

on the shelf... and running the Rev-N-Nator.

( LOL, j/k I had to, sorry )
Posted By: topside

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/30/18 01:45 AM

On a '68 Road Runner and '63 & '64 Bodies, made a bracket to mount it vertically behind the left side of the grille on rad support (no added holes).
On 1 Duster, same but interior side of firewall near glovebox. On another, glovebox is a tray (behind door) to mount MSD & coil.
Posted By: bill440rt

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/30/18 01:55 AM

‘68 Charger.
Under the driver’s seat. Ran the wiring following up the rocker and thru an unused hole in the lower firewall area.
Posted By: BlueRacer69

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/30/18 01:56 AM

I wouldn't mount a MSD if someone paid me. Nothing but junk. I've had 2 of them go south on me. Won't use them anymore.
Posted By: wingman

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/30/18 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By dvw
Doug

Same place mine went.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/30/18 05:52 AM

I put my Accel box on the inside of the car, passenger side above where the passenger feet go. Not visible unless ducking under to look for it, and it stays cooler which I think may be better for it.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/30/18 07:47 AM

Originally Posted By wingman
Originally Posted By dvw
Doug

Same place mine went.

A lot of room between the core support and headlights as well. I have mine in front of the batt. tray '73 Dart Sport. I need to make a blackout plate in front of it as you can see it through the grill. It is a marine 7AL-2 if that makes any difference. Been running in a number of different Dodge products since 1999. Starting with this one. You can just see the box at the bottom of the pic.

Attached picture 39530_1595923531746_7573068_n.jpg

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/30/18 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By wingman
Originally Posted By dvw
Doug

Same place mine went.

Either of you have a pic? That was my first choice but I'm just not seeing it with the big plug on the digital 6A
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/30/18 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By BlueRacer69
I wouldn't mount a MSD if someone paid me. Nothing but junk. I've had 2 of them go south on me. Won't use them anymore.

Have you contacted MSD (Now Holley)? We use thousands of their products ever year. Yes, there have been parts that have failed. We return them and they repair/replace at no charge and say there was nothing wrong with it. They don't want to have a bad name out there.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/30/18 08:06 PM

I must have gotten the good MSD6AL back around 1990. Still works fine.
I did think it went out on me once. Cooling the car at the track and got some water trapped around the magnetic pickup connection that was wrapped in electrical tape. I was using the points trigger. Anyhow, unwrapped the tape and dryed the mag pickup connection, and no more problems.
On The Charger, I had the box mounted on the inner fender in plain view so it would be easy to change the RPM limit pills.
On the Convertible, I mounted the CD box (Crane HI-6) under the battery tray.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/30/18 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By 451Mopar
I must have gotten the good MSD6AL back around 1990. Still works fine.
I did think it went out on me once. Cooling the car at the track and got some water trapped around the magnetic pickup connection that was wrapped in electrical tape. I was using the points trigger. Anyhow, unwrapped the tape and dryed the mag pickup connection, and no more problems.
On The Charger, I had the box mounted on the inner fender in plain view so it would be easy to change the RPM limit pills.
On the Convertible, I mounted the CD box (Crane HI-6) under the battery tray.

I was thinking the same mi is from 89.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/30/18 08:25 PM

Had 2 or 3 msd 6al boxes that were/are great. The best mopar ecu boxes seem to be the orig black boxes that are more reliable than any of the orange/ chrome whatever, so who knows. I also had a Crane hi-6 that was trouble free.
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/31/18 09:35 PM

Glove box on an shelf. It does buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz though.
Posted By: GY3

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 12/31/18 10:54 PM

Under the battery tray on my '63. Mounted the dial adjust rpm module on the framerail next to it.

I've used analog 6AL's for years and never an issue.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 01/01/19 06:27 PM

Heat/vibration is always electronics biggest enemy. Mounting a control box in the engine compartment is not the most favorable environment for electronics, and not conducive to a long trouble free life. I don't use my glovebox, so I remove the cardboard liner and mount an aluminum plate to screw the MSD box on and run the wires thru the firewall to the distributor. Been running the same box since 1986. If you want to get the longest life and reliability from electronic devices, put them in the most favorable environment that you can.

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 01/01/19 11:05 PM

Made up a mount and got it in, under the battery tray, out of the wet, but with some airflow. Can't see the LED, but since it fired right up I guess I don't need to at this point. Thanks for the ideas guys
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 01/03/19 01:31 AM

Mounted it on the back side of the firewall where the heater box used to be. The RPM limiter chips are nice and accessible. Sort of out of the weather other than the cowl leaks.....
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: So, where did YOU mount your MSD? - 01/03/19 04:37 AM

On 71-2 B's and E bodies I mount it under the battery tray.

Attached picture 20170328_161354.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums