Moparts

A-833/TF-727 extension housing bushing

Posted By: DGS

A-833/TF-727 extension housing bushing - 12/03/18 01:01 PM

Which bushing is better: teflon coated or bronze? Most places do not list the teflon coated bushing but since the 833/727 bushing is the same as the Ford C6 bushing it should work (usually the teflon coated bushings are listed as Ford bushings).
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: A-833/TF-727 extension housing bushing - 12/03/18 04:03 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with the plain old bushing.

I’ve seen them with over 300,000 mile since in truck and van applications without any issue or excessive wear.

Teflon - just a sales pitch.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: A-833/TF-727 extension housing bushing - 12/03/18 08:33 PM

There's a third option, the babbit-coated bushing should be easier on the slip yoke. Probably won't find one anymore.

Attached picture Tail_Bushing.jpg
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: A-833/TF-727 extension housing bushing - 12/04/18 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel
There's a third option, the babbit-coated bushing should be easier on the slip yoke. Probably won't find one anymore.

TRANSMAXX 36066B

Rock auto has them
Posted By: jbc426

Re: A-833/TF-727 extension housing bushing - 12/04/18 07:29 PM

A Mopar nut/ professional machinist said there's often an issue with the clearance between the bushing and the yoke. He believes this is often the cause of vibration/shudder at higher speeds.

He claims to have made a tool to machine an installed bushing's inside diameter to better match the outside diameter of the yoke. The output shaft of the transmission is only the diameter of the yoke away from the bushing, so it must be an interesting looking tool. I believe he also makes his own bushings and cuts them to fit the yoke plus the recommended oil clearance per a Machinist's Guide Book.

I bought the tool for removing and replacing the tailshaft bushings, and have installed several bushings in my transmissions while in the car. There does seem to be too much clearance between my Mark Williams forged yoke and even a stock yoke and the replacement bushing.

He's a member here, so I can ask him to chime in here with a better explanation and possibly some pictures if anyone is interested.
Posted By: 67Charger

Re: A-833/TF-727 extension housing bushing - 12/04/18 09:40 PM

Very interested. I have never liked the slop in the factory bushing. My high-speed 67 Charger has always fought driveline vibrations. I won't bore anyone with ALL the details, but 3 extension housings, 3 bushings, 2 output shafts, 2 rear end pinion angles, 2 sets of wheels, 3 sets of tires, and 3 driveshafts & yokes and the problem is still there at 130 mph. I've walked the bushing right out of the bore, leaving it flopping on the output shaft and the yoke using the extension housing as a bearing.

Re: A-833/TF-727 extension housing bushing - 12/05/18 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By 67Charger
Very interested. I have never liked the slop in the factory bushing. My high-speed 67 Charger has always fought driveline vibrations. I won't bore anyone with ALL the details, but 3 extension housings, 3 bushings, 2 output shafts, 2 rear end pinion angles, 2 sets of wheels, 3 sets of tires, and 3 driveshafts & yokes and the problem is still there at 130 mph. I've walked the bushing right out of the bore, leaving it flopping on the output shaft and the yoke using the extension housing as a bearing.

I'll ask my buddy to have our friend Alex (the Machinist) to read and respond on this thread.

I too have a high speed vibration issue that begins at 98mph. It's a smooth as silk everywhere else. If the bushing clearance is the culprit(which Alex swears it is), it would be a relatively cheap and easy solution would be worth doing.

My transmission is currently out due to a broken 2nd gear apply band stud. I will see if he can put a custom fitted bushing in mine.

Re: A-833/TF-727 extension housing bushing - 12/05/18 06:49 PM

Another option is to get an accurate measurement of the inside diameter of the installed bushing, and then have the yoke plated to increase it's diameter.

One of my friends used to work at a local shop that repaired airplane and industrial parts. They would blast the surface, hard chrome or plasma spray treatment the parts, and then finish grind them to a required finished size spec.

It seems easier and more practical than somehow making and boring the bushing to fit the yoke.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: A-833/TF-727 extension housing bushing - 12/05/18 07:33 PM

My twocents ....the rear bushing doesn't get a constant flood of lube so I don't see tighter clearances as a benefit. Millions of vehicles have trudged along for billions of miles with the stock clearances and no problems.
© 2024 Moparts Forums