Moparts

Aftermarket power window kit

Posted By: varunner

Aftermarket power window kit - 11/29/18 03:29 PM

This looks pretty simple and the price is right. Anybody have any experience with it ?

ebay
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 11/29/18 04:49 PM

Quote:
Please note this kit is designed to replace your factory window regulator and offer quick smooth performance. This kit is also designed to work on Dodge Challenger 1970 - 1974’s that have modified doors and channels.

eek Modified how exactly and that door glass isn't flat is it?

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 11/29/18 05:02 PM

yeah that second sentence makes you wonder, but it does say it replaces the factory regulator. Looks like they have sold 4 of them and I didn't see any negative feedback.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 11/29/18 05:10 PM

I used these a few times:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metra-Install-B...75.c10#viTabs_0

They work with your original crank window regulators and are super easy to install. Just be sure to find ones that are made by spal, another member commented the off-brand ones don't have enough jam to work the windows effectively. I used the spal ones and they worked fine on every vehicle I've done them in.

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 11/29/18 05:38 PM

I like those. My driver's side regulator is shot, passenger side is ok, so a new driver's side reg and this kit should get me power windows on both sides for @ $350. thanks

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 02/19/19 08:31 PM

I bought and installed the metra kit from Ebay. I have to say I'm impressed. Pretty simple kit and appears to be quality parts. Made in Italy. You need to buy switches and relays which adds $30 or so.

Attached picture 20190125_103609_1550594329127_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20190127_155645_1550594327010_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20190128_163234_1550594325081_resized.jpg
Posted By: 70moparmike

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 02/20/19 01:46 PM

couldn't find any switches on there website. where did you get yours? and are they on the knob that protrudes from the door panel? or a rocker switch?

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 02/20/19 02:41 PM

I used rocker switches in a small electrical box where the console used to be. Car is race only. below are where I got the switches and relays, and a wiring diagram. The instructions and wiring diagram that comes with the kit aren't the best.

switches
relays

Attached picture wiring diagram.jpg
Posted By: 70moparmike

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 02/20/19 05:50 PM

i was thinking about a push button start system and they include running up windows and locking car when setting the alam mode? thought that would be cool to do..
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 02/20/19 06:08 PM

OP, that Ebay kit looks very similar to what I found in the door of my Hyundai, except this one doesn't use cables which is a good thing.
It gets rid of the hand crank machinery completely and as most of that is pretty worn out by this time, good riddance. For that reason, the setups that turn the window crank aren't very attractive to me.
The only problem I could see was mentioned above, straight vs. curved. I hope the designers of the kit figured that out. I bet they did.

R.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 02/21/19 05:51 AM

I've played with a lot of window lifts working on street rods and such. Unless the ebay setup is mounted so it can move with the window, I don't see it working well with curved glass. It moves straight up and down while the curved glass is moving in and out as it goes up and down. Something has to accommodate that in and out movement.

Buy a power window kit for curved glass. Gene

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 02/21/19 03:32 PM

I bought the second kit mentioned, not the first one with the linear actuators. All it does is turn the hand crank. Everything in the door is OEM. Very simple
Posted By: SIX225

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 02/22/19 05:39 AM

Might try this setup. https://youtu.be/1uG6grzdUf8
Posted By: moparx

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 02/22/19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By SIX225
Might try this setup. https://youtu.be/1uG6grzdUf8

my favorite [BY FAR !] repair guy ! up up up
beer
Posted By: 70duster340

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 03/03/19 05:07 AM

Would this kit work on an A body, specifically a 1970 Duster? Looks very intriguing to me.

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 03/03/19 05:40 PM

sure, no difference compared to what I did.

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 03/04/19 12:17 AM

So I would assume that it necessitates removal of the window cracks? How is the hole in the door panels covered? Any pics?

Thanks

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 03/04/19 03:57 AM

Anybody?

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 03/04/19 06:52 PM

Hello???
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 03/05/19 03:16 AM

Come on man... the pictures posted already answer your questions. But so I don't look too much of a jerk.... violin
1) Yes the window cranks need to be removed rolleyes
2) There is a black cap that goes over the hole, you can see it in the link for the kit, posted above... rolleyes It does look a little cheesy, but it's a universal kit.
GoodBye wave

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 03/05/19 04:40 AM

Skeptic, I believe you need to chill out. I missed that particular photo, so sue me. I'm using a cell phone for this currently, so things are pretty small. If you can't be cordial, don't bother answering any of my posts.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 03/05/19 05:47 AM

He did answer your question so you should thank him not berate him for pointing out the obvious.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 03/05/19 05:38 PM

To add, the kits come with a variety of caps and adapters of different sizes so you can choose the smallest cap that fits. I have never seen it done but I have heard in some applications you can shim the window regulator back far enough that you can use OEM power window door panels without the hole. No, the original window cranks won't fit, however at one time they sold a deluxe version of this kit that came with an emergency window crank so you could pop off the door panel crank and manual wind the window up/down. I never had a malfunction with mine.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 03/05/19 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By 70duster340
Skeptic, I believe you need to chill out. I missed that particular photo, so sue me. I'm using a cell phone for this currently, so things are pretty small. If you can't be cordial, don't bother answering any of my posts.

Contrary to what you may have been told, there are stupid questions.

You asked one.

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 03/05/19 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
Originally Posted By 70duster340

Contrary to what you may have been told, there are stupid questions.

You asked one.

Because it may be someone's opinion that the question is "stupid", it doesn't warrant such a response, from either of you. Just because the answer may have been missed or obvious gives nobody reason to belittle another member.

This site used to be about helping other Mopar owners with information, parts, etc. I've been a member here for over 30 years now. I have been in the position to both receive and offer information and support whenever I thought I could. At no time did I do so in such a manner as some have here on this post. I sincerely hope that this won't be the norm moving forward.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 03/06/19 01:22 AM

I posted NOTHING insulting or demeaning, I merely pointed out that you bumped a thread THREE times, without paying any attention to the contents. If you feel embarrassed, that's on you.

Re: Aftermarket power window kit - 03/06/19 06:02 PM

That's your opinion. I certainly don't need the attitude of someone who, for some reason, has a poor outlook on other members. Like you've never missed some detail sometime in your life. If you can't say it respectfully, don't bother to say it at all. When I get it, I am just going to fire back. I have no issue with that.
© 2024 Moparts Forums