Moparts

BESTest headlight cover renewer ?

Posted By: dOrk !

BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/14/18 05:20 PM

....or are they either a waste of time and money or at the best jst temporary ?
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/14/18 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By Doc Fiberglass
....or are they either a waste of time and money or at the best jst temporary ?

If you can buy an inexpensive reproduction new, that is the route to go. For my wife's 300M, the OE headlights were getting hazy & never illuminated the road in front of you at night very well. I bought a pair of aftermarket ones from the internet ("Eagle Eyes" brand) & they were perfect fit, & functioned MUCH better than the OE ones. They have been on the car for 2 years now & still look perfect.
Posted By: topside

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/14/18 06:04 PM

The problem with plastic lenses is similar to the old enamel paints: over time & aggravated by UV light, the resins evaporate to the surface. Some resins also yellow with age.
What I've done with customer cars is to wet-sand the lenses with 1000 grit, and then polish them with rubbing compound using a small pad (mask around the lens). That helps a lot, depending on how bad they were beforehand.

Cloudy lenses also reduce light output; that seems lost on a lot of people.
Posted By: wingman

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/14/18 06:05 PM

The 3M kit is the best I have used and works well.

Eventually, though the UV rays will do their thing again.
Posted By: d-150

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/14/18 06:37 PM

I use toothpaste works pretty food is not
Posted By: bonefish

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/14/18 06:47 PM

i tried the toothpaste ,worked pretty good for about a year then turned yellow again.But no cavities up
Posted By: BloFish

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/14/18 06:57 PM

😂
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/14/18 07:24 PM

Are there any replacements that have good UV protection?
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/14/18 07:45 PM

If you don't want to buff your headlights periodically (and you will), check out Rock Auto's prices on headlights. I buffed mine for several years, but when I broke one (not in the buffing process), I replaced them both. Wish I would have done it sooner.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/14/18 08:31 PM

I did the ones in my old Ram. Sanded with 1000 grit then polished with the 3M stuff and a Powerball. Cleaned them really well and coated them with Valspar Marine varnish. They still looked good when I sold the truck a year later.
Posted By: topside

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/15/18 02:40 AM

For UV protection, lightly scuff them (800 grit wet) and spray 'em with a catalyzed urethane clear. Also, the clear chip-guard stuff will work.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/15/18 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By Fat_Mike
If you don't want to buff your headlights periodically (and you will), check out Rock Auto's prices on headlights. I buffed mine for several years, but when I broke one (not in the buffing process), I replaced them both. Wish I would have done it sooner.

This
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/15/18 03:18 AM

If you want to polish them, you don't have to buy anything special. Any polish will do the job. Depending on how rough the surface is, you can start with anything between 600 and 1000 sandpaper. Finish with 1500 or 2000.

The plastic is soft enough that you don't need compound. Polish will do it. It would go a little quicker if you use some compound, but not much if you use some 1500 to 2000 paper. And don't let the surface go dry. The plastic will burn and smear much easier than paint.

If you decide to polish them, they usually look better and are clearer. But you will need to redo them periodically.

As mentioned above, the best and fairly permanent fix is to spray them with catalized clear after sanding with 600 or so sandpaper. Spray bomb clear doesn't work, it just lays on top of the plastic and looks like fish eye.

We spray the headlights in just about ever car we get in. It is amazing how headlights that are yellow and completely fogged look almost new after clearing.

Either way, it is important to sand the surface enough to remove the oxidation and old sealer.
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/15/18 03:40 AM

Sand/scrape off the outer film on the headlight, then sand with 1000 grit and spray with a clearcoat that uses hardener. Eastwood has some 2 part spray bomb stuff now that works decent. A/M is very hit or miss. Some are ok, but I have bought some that have you hunting racoons without enough adjustment to fix it. They also do not focus the light beam nearly as well so are not as bright. Fix the oem ones as suggested above and they will likely last as long as you have the car.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/15/18 04:08 AM

Mothers mag wheel polish works good but like said unless clearcoated they will dull again.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/15/18 04:27 AM

Think it’s happening from the inside out too. I’m on set #3 in my 01. Headlight get hazy, but the plastic turn signal lenses stay looking new.

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/15/18 04:56 AM

THX guyz .... Lots of options here ! Since this 2005 vehicle is such a sweetie pie I'm thinking maybe new ones. Is the quality of plastic THESE DAYS way better than 05 ? And I should mention that the plastic covers on this one ISNT all that bad.

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/15/18 05:22 AM

Ooooops .....what kind of money are new ones ?

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/15/18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By Doc Fiberglass
Ooooops .....what kind of money are new ones ?

rockauto.com
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/15/18 04:04 PM

Huge price range on headlights for the 05 Ram. I have seen them priced at $35 and up for the aftermarket ones and up to $250 plus for the mopar brand.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/15/18 05:37 PM

https://youtu.be/FcX9M6ft3iM

This is what I used, and I had it in my garage
Posted By: stumpy

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/15/18 06:58 PM

I used that and a buffer to clean an old set of chevy lenses. The buffer works great if you don't get too forceful with it.

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/15/18 07:56 PM

Polishing compound. Gotta love that consumer packaging.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/16/18 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By Sunroofcuda
I bought a pair of aftermarket ones from the internet ("Eagle Eyes" brand) & they were perfect fit, & functioned MUCH better than the OE ones.

This is what we did as well. Same result.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/16/18 06:29 AM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
Originally Posted By Fat_Mike

This

This again !!
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/16/18 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By wingman
The 3M kit is the best I have used and works well.

Eventually, though the UV rays will do their thing again.

I bought a 3M kit on sale, $36 I think it was - kind of on a lark, figured I'd try it - and yeah, it cleared up the headlamps on our minivan and came out nice... but as mentioned already, the UV just started all over again, plus the tiny spider cracks are in it now.

So I just ordered in a new set of headlamp assemblies from RockAuto..
- Art

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/16/18 06:24 PM

Thx guyz ... I'm almost convinced in total to buy new BUTTTT ... How do the new aftermarket ones hold up with the UV ? I did look at the Eagle site .. Nice looking product ! Rock Auto ? I just had a minute to look at the time .... No luck finding them. Never been on their site before ... after putting in the car details - what section are the covers in ?

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/16/18 06:30 PM

body section

2005 Ram headlights

I usually buy the midrange options. Replaced them on several different different vehicles over the years, never had them long enough afterwards to have them go hazy again.

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/16/18 06:38 PM

Thx Sc ... I had looked in the electrical section I believe ... The body section makes sense. 2005 CarrotVan !!
Posted By: BloFish

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/16/18 06:43 PM

Is there a rockauto discount code available?

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/17/18 02:03 AM

Yes, check retailmenot for a 5% code. But also check with Ebay. They usually beat Rockauto on Headlights and the like.

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/17/18 03:03 AM

discount code for RA
Posted By: Iowan

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/17/18 03:44 AM

Sand them with 1000 grit wet then a cote of clear urathane. You will never have to mess with them again.

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/17/18 08:21 PM

jsta saw an ad for this last nite ....

COULDNT be EZier than this !!

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/wipe-new/headlight-restore/

Load o BULL ?
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/17/18 08:32 PM

Aftermarket headlamps are junk. All of them. Some are bad, some are worse, none of them are good. Polish and clear yours.

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/17/18 08:36 PM

Hay howdy n_a_c .... Go Bolts !
Posted By: stumpy

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/17/18 08:38 PM

Doc you will get the same results by using compound with less work and cost.

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/17/18 08:43 PM

Compound ? ... the white or finer ?
Posted By: MileHighDart

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/17/18 08:45 PM

I did the ones on my wife's sentra, and the ones on my Grand Cherokee.

Sanded them, 400, 600, 800,1000 grit, then clear coated. About three years later they still look pretty good.
Posted By: AdamR

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/19/18 02:30 AM

Headlights have a UV coating on them. Thats what turns yellow. You can wet sand them and buff them back. Usually I will start with 1200-1500 wet. if they are really bad Ill start with 800 grit. They will need to be recoated. I use what ever ceramic coating I have on hand. Gtechniq, CarPro, etc. Or just buy a headlight resto kit.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/19/18 05:49 AM

Originally Posted By not_a_charger
Aftermarket headlamps are junk. All of them. Some are bad, some are worse, none of them are good. Polish and clear yours.

Like I said, for a 2001 300M, the Eagle Eyes aftermarket lights were far superior to the OE as far as lighting the road at night, and fit & construction were every bit as good as OE. Two years they have been on the car now - car sits outside, & they look bright & clear as new.
Posted By: Kilroy was here

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/20/18 01:12 AM

I used the 3M kit, looks good.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: BESTest headlight cover renewer ? - 11/20/18 06:06 AM

Originally Posted By Sunroofcuda
Originally Posted By not_a_charger

Like I said, for a 2001 300M, the Eagle Eyes aftermarket lights were far superior to the OE as far as lighting the road at night, and fit & construction were every bit as good as OE. Two years they have been on the car now - car sits outside, & they look bright & clear as new.

Yeah, I don't get that either. I'm pretty certain my replacements are Dorman's. Although they're only a few years old, they're still clear as new.
© 2024 Moparts Forums