Moparts

Trick Flow manifold and hood clearance B body

Posted By: frank

Trick Flow manifold and hood clearance B body - 10/24/18 03:50 AM

Has anyone put a Trick Flow intake on a B engine in a Charger? I want to use the TF intake on a 400 block in a 68 Charger with stock hood. Air cleaner would be a 1 inch drop base with 3 inch element.
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: Trick Flow manifold and hood clearance B body - 10/26/18 05:31 PM

Years ago I had a 68 Charger with 400/451 stroker and Indy heads and intake, with a dominator under the stock hood. I would think the Indy intake is at least as tall as TF intake, if not taller. Mine was more of a race car and I did not have an air cleaner on it, but everything did fit under the hood. Not too much clearance though. If you're using a 4150 carb and the TF intake is a little shorter than Indy's, it just might fit w an aircleaner. You might also try the shorter filter element with a drop base and also k and n flow top.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Trick Flow manifold and hood clearance B body - 10/26/18 05:43 PM

I had to cut a hole in the hood of my B body to clear the Trick Flow intake but I'm using a 4 inch tall air cleaner.

Attached picture DSC_2881 (Large).JPG
Posted By: frank

Re: Trick Flow manifold and hood clearance B body - 10/27/18 04:07 AM

Thanks. I know it will be close. Going to do some measurements with the car this weekend. Still has a 383 installed with Eddy 750. The TF is about 2 5/8 inches taller than stock. I have a Holley SD also that I know will fit but wanted to use the TF. Its Sniper throttle body so maybe get some clearance there. No cutting the hood. When the engine is on the dyno I think I will have runs with both the TF and Holley intakes. I would think the TF would make more power but if its marginal then I'll us the SD.
Frank
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: Trick Flow manifold and hood clearance B body - 04/24/22 05:18 PM

I know that this is an old thread, but I was never able to find a concrete answer. I too have a 2nd gen Charger that is getting a 400 based 470" engine. I would like to use the Trick Flow intake but also want to keep the stock hood. Will it fit? Thanks for any help.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Trick Flow manifold and hood clearance B body - 04/25/22 01:01 PM

How does a Trick flow compare in height to a Edelbrock 6bbl?

They fit under a 70 stock hood with a standard air cleaner.
On a RB, too

Joe
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: Trick Flow manifold and hood clearance B body - 04/26/22 11:21 PM

I have a trick flow intake on a set of 906's on a b-block in a 69 RR. Clears, with original AVS. Looks to clear with a Holley 4150. BUT, it's close and will undoubtedly cost a few ponies. I'm running a max wedge style flat, metallic door screen filter.
Posted By: boomerodell

Re: Trick Flow manifold and hood clearance B body - 04/30/22 01:14 PM

Good to hear it will fit under the stock hood. We have a new low deck build for a 68 roadrunner and just received the trick flow intake. Its pretty tall comparing it with a tm6 that it will replace. I spoke with Wilson manifolds and it is pretty reasonable to angle mill the carb flange. So it can be level in the car plus gain some clearance.
© 2024 Moparts Forums