Moparts

Leaking oil past oil filter gasket

Posted By: Diego_Ted

Leaking oil past oil filter gasket - 09/27/18 01:11 AM

I have an edelbrock headed 340. When the car sits for a while it will spew oil past the rubber gasket on the oil filter. What is the cause and what is the cure?

thx Diego
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Leaking oil past oil filter gasket - 09/27/18 01:16 AM

Did you check to see if the last filter came free & left its gasket on the block?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Leaking oil past oil filter gasket - 09/27/18 01:20 AM

got an oil pressure gauge on it? Put one one and look at the pressure when this happens. Might be an oil pressure relief valve getting sticky but without a gauge we're all guessing.
Posted By: Y3 70 BEE

Re: Leaking oil past oil filter gasket - 09/27/18 01:35 AM

Schlitz King Can

Re: Leaking oil past oil filter gasket - 09/27/18 01:58 AM

No left over gasket. Oil pressure around 60 psi at start up. Does not always happen, just now the then?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Leaking oil past oil filter gasket - 09/27/18 02:08 AM

Easy & cheap to replace the filter & see what happens.

Once the old one is off, you can check for issues with it & the gasket mating surface.

Possibly multiple 'surfaces' if it has the 90 degree adapter?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Leaking oil past oil filter gasket - 09/27/18 03:13 AM

60 psi should not be a problem.
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: Leaking oil past oil filter gasket - 09/27/18 03:23 AM

Maybe its leaking from the gasket from between the screw on oil filter adapter plate and the block?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Leaking oil past oil filter gasket - 09/27/18 08:32 AM

Is it mounted on a ninety degree adapter or straight into the side of the block?
Its weird that is does it now and then instead of all the time work confused
Posted By: wingman

Re: Leaking oil past oil filter gasket - 09/27/18 03:14 PM

Does it only happen on the most recent oil filter, or has it done the same thing with previous oil filters?

Is it really a "spew" or more of a "seep" when it sits?

As mentioned, maybe a defect on the mating surface? If it were me I would start by pulling the filter and inspecting the mating surface for defects/flatness. Although those rubber gaskets are pretty forgiving...

Re: Leaking oil past oil filter gasket - 09/27/18 03:50 PM

It has always done it. It is a spew about 1/2 a cups worth. It's got a 90* adapter. All mating surface seem good. Yes only now and then but mostly after has been sitting for more than a few days or weeks? The leak is not from the adapter to block junction.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Leaking oil past oil filter gasket - 09/27/18 05:17 PM

have you tried to re-tighten the filter [by hand] when this happens ? as mentioned, possibly a mating surface problem that does not allow the filter to fully seat after a few heat cycles. worth a try anyway.
beer
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Leaking oil past oil filter gasket - 09/28/18 12:01 PM

Didn’t realize you were back from the dead Ted!! Blast from the past right here... guess I only check the racing section 99% of the time.

Have you tried different filters? Thinking I’d throw a Mopar on there and see what happens

Re: Leaking oil past oil filter gasket - 09/28/18 05:40 PM

J Bod, good to hear from you, been a long long time! Yes I am coming back hope to retire next year and be a presence back on Moparts!! How have you been, good I hope.

Diego
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Leaking oil past oil filter gasket - 09/29/18 10:41 PM

either the filter mounting gasket is leaking (get a new filter, not a Fram) or the thin gasket under the big mounting bolt head is leaking in which case get the 3 piece gasket set from MP & undo everything/clean/reinstall.
© 2024 Moparts Forums