Moparts

Lifters

Posted By: terzmo

Lifters - 09/25/18 10:22 PM

Having issues with new lifters in a 440 block made after 68. Any suggestions on what hydraulic lifters to buy.(flat top,no rollers) Flat tappet cam. Thanks in advance

Let me put this a different way....IF a person was to build a 68 on up 440 motor and MUST have hydraulic lifters..what brand/part number is suggested.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Lifters - 09/25/18 10:50 PM

Explain issues?

Ebay normally has older lifters from time to time, at least some from the late 70-s.
Posted By: BlueRacer69

Re: Lifters - 09/26/18 01:50 AM

What are the issues you have, explain? And whats in it now for lifters?
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Lifters - 09/26/18 02:25 AM

making noise after sitting for a while. Did some exploring and it's lifters,not pushrods or anything else.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Lifters - 09/26/18 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By terzmo
making noise after sitting for a while. Did some exploring and it's lifters,not pushrods or anything else.

are you running a wix oil filter? or a junk fram that has a junk anti drain back valve
Posted By: Iowan

Re: Lifters - 09/26/18 02:49 AM

I've been told that the new hydraulic lifters from whatever company are all U.S. made but the guts are made in china.
Bleed down is a problem with most of the lifters out there. Crane came has been a good supplyer probably because of old stock.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Lifters - 09/26/18 05:29 PM

These days, buying new BB Mopar oe replacement style lifters is a crap shoot for where they fall within the acceptable “bleed rate” range.

For American made parts, I believe you’re going to be limited to HyLift Johnson or Stanadyne....... possibly still something made by Eaton.

Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Lifters - 09/26/18 06:14 PM

it's my understanding that Eaton won't make hydraulic flat tappets anymore and Stanadyne (the worst of the bunch) is out of business. I think it's Johnsons or Chinese now.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Lifters - 09/26/18 08:24 PM

Mopar Performance lifters were USA Johnson Hylift, back in 2013.
Long story. Hope they haven't changed.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Lifters - 09/26/18 10:39 PM

If your using a set of the older Mopar after market lifters with one of their Purple shaft cams don't expect them to NOT do that shock puke
The last hydraulic cam and lifters kit I bought from Ma Mopar rattled at start up intermittingly for at least 5000 miles before it quit doing that confused shruggy
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Lifters - 09/26/18 11:17 PM

Made in the U.S.

https://johnsonlifters.com/
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Lifters - 09/27/18 07:39 PM

I looked at the Johnson site.
They show three versions of hyd flat lifters for Mopar...... reduced travel, short travel, fast bleed.
$400-450 msrp

I was told Eaton was back in the flat tappet business again.
I just looked it up....... technically they are, but it’s not like they started making them again.

They bought the Mexican company Morestana in 2005.

I see some places selling a few parts from Stanadyne, but I think it’s just leftover stock.

So, for stock replacement type BB Mopar lifters made in the USA, it’s probably down to just HyLift Johnson.
© 2024 Moparts Forums