Moparts

Electronic Ignition ECU of choice?

Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Electronic Ignition ECU of choice? - 09/21/18 03:43 AM

My Warlock feels like it's dropping spark above 3,500rpm and surges pretty hard. I'd like to go ahead and get a backup ECU to have on hand and try while I'm looking for the root cause.

Is a parts store version a reasonable choice, or is there a particular vendor to seek out? Not looking for a $200 RevNAtor unless it's going to rock my world.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Electronic Ignition ECU of choice? - 09/21/18 04:10 AM

I would go ahead & get a spare (I think rockauto just had a sale on em) & throw it on there to see if that is it. Not a fan of shotgunning parts at an issue but a spare ECU is always a good plan. Is the current one OE?
Posted By: Frank Raso

Re: Electronic Ignition ECU of choice? - 09/21/18 04:14 AM

The HEI system is better than the Mopar EI and the Mopar electronic distributor wires directly up to it. I have a GM HEI module from a wreck in my car.

See HEI Ignition Upgrade.
Posted By: gss

Re: Electronic Ignition ECU of choice? - 09/21/18 04:34 AM

http://www.manciniracing.com/mreelcoun.html

$11.95 at Mancini
Posted By: BcudaChris

Re: Electronic Ignition ECU of choice? - 09/21/18 06:22 PM

$$$ but I couldn't be happier with my FBO 688 box. Might be overkill for your purposes though.
Posted By: Ray440

Re: Electronic Ignition ECU of choice? - 09/23/18 02:24 PM

Here are the choices fro Rockauto. Has any tried the Standard Motor LX101? I think my orange box is going bad and was going to give this one a try.

www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/plymouth,1974,roadrunner,5.2l+318cid+v8,1240704,ignition,ignition+control+module+(icm),7172
Posted By: Kowal

Re: Electronic Ignition ECU of choice? - 09/23/18 05:55 PM

If you don’t mind paying up...Bouchillon Performance still has some original Mopar units for sale...not off brand.

Re: Electronic Ignition ECU of choice? - 09/23/18 05:57 PM

Those are made in china now but I had one & it was fine till I sold the truck. Actually any 4 pinner (& a spare in your glove box) of any brand/type will suffice. The RA link wont open.
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: Electronic Ignition ECU of choice? - 09/23/18 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By BcudaChris
$$$ but I couldn't be happier with my FBO 688 box. Might be overkill for your purposes though.

What is this and where can it be bought?
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: Electronic Ignition ECU of choice? - 09/23/18 06:30 PM

Here is the one i have on the road runner. It has dual circuits in case one fails. up

Attached picture P9230002.JPG
Posted By: tman

Re: Electronic Ignition ECU of choice? - 09/23/18 06:32 PM

You can get the FBO at Mancini. Right now its 10% off with Promo code #FALL. Today is the last day of the promo code. You can Google that box for info.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Electronic Ignition ECU of choice? - 09/23/18 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
The RA link wont open.

It does if you cut and paste

Re: Electronic Ignition ECU of choice? - 09/23/18 06:37 PM

thanks bro
Posted By: BcudaChris

Re: Electronic Ignition ECU of choice? - 09/24/18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By Magnumguy
Originally Posted By BcudaChris

What is this and where can it be bought?

http://4secondsflat.com/Ignition.html

HRR688 ignition system

Don is also a great resource for all things carbureted fuel system and ignition related (and I'm sure for many other related things). The personal support that comes with his products is great.

Over the phone he's spotted more than one little thing I was overlooking out of frustration and he's got me on track.

If you're running a Mopar distributor, his tuning plate is the bomb too.

Chris
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Electronic Ignition ECU of choice? - 09/24/18 08:24 PM

For the cheap driver applications I've recently become a fan of the GM HEI module - Ford TFI coil - Mopar electronic distributor combination after trying it on my 440 C body. Makes a very nice strong spark. It is a $20 module, a $9 coil and it wires right up with parts store spade connectors. It's also easy to hide if desired.
© 2024 Moparts Forums