Moparts

Recommend a pan for 727?

Posted By: closer9

Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/01/18 01:49 AM

Can anyone recommend a good trans pan for 727 with a drain plug? I would love to find a cast one, but can't find anything that isn't deeper, and I don't want it hanging any lower.

I bought a thick steel, can't remember the brand, years ago, but put it in storage shortly after. I've had leak problems ever since, and yes it'sthe pan. It's 3/16" and nearly impossible for me to get it flat. I've tried all the gaskets including the reusable 46re.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/01/18 02:41 AM

5 options at Summitt, none cast because of the stock depth requirement.

https://tinyurl.com/y7ck5yeg

I've used none of them, seems they don't carry the one I used in the past anymore.

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/01/18 03:00 AM

I looked at Summit and read all the reviews. Just curious if there was anything else or if anyone had used them.

TCI steel pan seems to have the best reviews. I did see they make a +2 quart aluminum that got good reviews, but still adds 2".

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/01/18 03:09 AM

Hmmm... hadn't seen/tried the steel core Moroso gasket. Been reading up on it. Might try it before I give up on this pan.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-93110
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/01/18 03:16 AM

I used the MP steel pan and the steel core pan gasket on my 64 300's 727. No issues, once I helicoiled all the stripped out pan bolt holes. I don't know if you eliminated other possibilities for the source of the leak, but there are a number of other areas than can leak and make you think it's the pan. The trickiest one to recognize is the kickdown/shifter shaft seal.

You might consider the 46RE pan, rockauto has them with plug for a reasonable cost, 98 1500 360 V8

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/01/18 03:26 AM

Yeah, I've replaced all the seals. It's dry above the gasket. This last time I thought I had it fixed, I just let it idle in neutral to keep leaks from getting blown around.

I'm currently using the 46RE gasket. The rubber strips are very thin.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/01/18 07:22 AM

Quote:
It's 3/16" and nearly impossible for me to get it flat.
No way to beat/persuade it flat I am assuming.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/01/18 09:27 AM

The rear band lever pivot shaft is a source of many so called pan leaks. If it's wet at the rear of the pan rail this could be your issue.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/01/18 04:52 PM

You may have already done so but make sure there is no sealer is in any of the bolt holes. I had a couple bottom out before getting tight because of silicone in the holes. Also the Right Stuff sealant will seal about anything but it makes for tough removal later.
https://www.permatex.com/our-brands/the-right-stuff/

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/01/18 06:52 PM

Yeah. I did the rear band shaft a few years back, but now feeling kinda stupid. I don't think I've bothered to check if the screws are bottoming out. I think I may get the Morroso gasket and will try it and make sure all the holes are cleaned out. Might go ahead and get the TCI stamped pan while I'm at it.

Thanks, guys.
Posted By: gzig5

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/01/18 07:08 PM

I put this MP pan on. Has extra capacity but not so much that it hangs too low. Comes with everything you need including a nice gasket and extra length bolts. It's already paid for itself allowing me to drain the trans in a controlled manner a couple times.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-3690730/overview/
Posted By: PLUM_72

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/03/18 11:21 PM

I have one of these from LPW. It hangs lower than stock, but its not too bad
https://www.lpwracing.com/Trans_Pans/Deep_Transmission_Pans.html
Posted By: dvw

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/04/18 12:25 PM

The replacement 518 pan availible from Dorman and other sources is a great value and works well.
Doug
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/04/18 01:45 PM

My old Direct Connection pan works fine !

Attached picture Picture 084.jpg
Posted By: crlush

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/04/18 02:33 PM

I had the wrong o-ring in my dipstick tube it caused a leak that looked to be coming from the pan (was leaking down then went around where the gasket for oilpan is and would drip in a different spot).
Posted By: BDW

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/04/18 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By dvw
The replacement 518 pan availible from Dorman and other sources is a great value and works well.
Doug

Exactly what I did, was only $35 on Amazon
Dorman # 265-827

These things are simple stamped steel, no reason they should cost $100
Posted By: rhad

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/05/18 05:56 AM

i know a guy who had a problem with ford valve covers bending/leaking,he cut out a metal ring the shape pf a gasket out of 1/4 inch steel plate drilled holes for the bolts and bolted it on the top side of the valve cover NOT the gasket side,no more leaks,that should work for a trans pan also,even pressure like a pressure plate will squeeze the gasket/pan uniformly

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/16/18 04:06 PM

I keep forgetting to update, but it's been over a week since I installed the TCI pan and Moroso gasket. So far floor is still dry. 😀 I probably could have made the old pan work with a thick bead of RTV, but I didn't like that idea.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Recommend a pan for 727? - 09/16/18 09:49 PM

Glad to see you gut it fixed. Some of them stamped steel pans leak. The new MP deep ones I have had h=good luck with but changed to thick Cast Aluminium. Since a few others mad the thread into a show and tell here is mine

Attached picture drivetrainbottom.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums