Moparts

Disk brake question

Posted By: 1970RT

Disk brake question - 08/27/18 05:02 AM

From the years 1966 to 1976, is there any particular year/model front disk brakes (big bolt pattern) that are considered better than the rest or are they pretty much all the same? I'm planning on converting my GTX to disks and was just curious if I should look for a specific year/model brake set-up to use for the conversion. I have a set of 1974 A-body disk assemblies as well as a pair of 1972 or 73 E-body assemblies that I could use but if there is a better choice I would just look for those. For those who might suggest buying aftermarket brakes, I am not interested as I would like to use original Mopar brake assemblies.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Disk brake question - 08/27/18 05:11 AM

Well, your gonna have to measure the inner diameter of the spindle to determine wether you have a 72 or 73 spindle.
The 72 uses a smaller diameter inner bearing, and a 73 uses a larger inner bearing.
The 73-76 A body spindles (brakes) are pretty much considered the ones to find and use, as they have the large bearing.
If you do have a 73 E body spindle, (or 74) those are a good one, as they are the same as the A body.
Confused yet? lol
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Disk brake question - 08/27/18 05:25 AM

Best factory brakes are the 11.75 rotors. The larger rotors fit any '73 or newer ABE knuckle so you already have what you need. Just buy the 11.75 caliper adapters from DoctorDiff if you don't have them then get the 11.75 rotors at a local parts store.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Disk brake question - 08/27/18 05:47 AM

Originally Posted By AndyF
Best factory brakes are the 11.75 rotors. The larger rotors fit any '73 or newer ABE knuckle so you already have what you need. Just buy the 11.75 caliper adapters from DoctorDiff if you don't have them then get the 11.75 rotors at a local parts store.

That may be true, but a personal preference.
But you neglect to tell the op that if you go that route you need 15 inch wheels to clear everything.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Disk brake question - 08/27/18 05:51 AM

The smaller rotors on those A-body disc brakes stop a B-body just fine, and the stock 14" wheels fit on them if you,want to use them.

What wheels do you run on your GTX?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Disk brake question - 08/27/18 06:33 AM

for the A body spindles, the 73-75 calipers have a 2.60" bore and the '76 ones at your parts house have a 2.75 bore so ask for that year, more front bias is almost always better. the outside dimentions/fitment are identical on those (3) years for that app, just a bigger bore/piston. EDIT (4) years

Re: Disk brake question - 08/27/18 06:34 AM

Originally Posted By hemi71x
Well, your gonna have to measure the inner diameter of the spindle to determine wether you have a 72 or 73 spindle.
The 72 uses a smaller diameter inner bearing, and a 73 uses a larger inner bearing.
The 73-76 A body spindles (brakes) are pretty much considered the ones to find and use, as they have the large bearing.
If you do have a 73 E body spindle, (or 74) those are a good one, as they are the same as the A body.
Confused yet? lol

I will have to measure the E-body brakes tomorrow to see what the diameter of the inner bearing is.

Re: Disk brake question - 08/27/18 06:35 AM

Originally Posted By NANKET
The smaller rotors on those A-body disc brakes stop a B-body just fine, and the stock 14" wheels fit on them if you,want to use them.

What wheels do you run on your GTX?

15" Cragars.
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: Disk brake question - 08/27/18 05:22 PM

https://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/brakes/disc-main.html

Use the 73-76 A-Body Proportioning valve, get 7/8" bore rear wheel cylinders and use a 15/16" or 1" bore master cylinder.

Dr. Diff has all the parts is you cant source them locally.
© 2024 Moparts Forums