Moparts

Champion 3 roll radiator Shroud and 2-10 inch fans

Posted By: RAY1969CARS

Champion 3 roll radiator Shroud and 2-10 inch fans - 08/24/18 08:20 PM

Has anyone ever had any luck with theses ??? 69 dart with the 360 and a few bolt ons
If you ran this combo please feel free to give pointers

What are your thoughts on the shroud been so close to the back of the radiator and the shroud cover in the back of the radiator so much

Attached picture B7C5462B-FF90-4F09-A9C3-D46369A50862.jpeg
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Champion 3 roll radiator Shroud and 2-10 inch fans - 08/24/18 08:49 PM

Run away from those fans. There is a big write up on Moparts by Feets about using a Mercedes fan. It works. Ford Contour fans can be made to work with the 22" radiator setups as well.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Champion 3 roll radiator Shroud and 2-10 inch fans - 08/25/18 04:01 AM

I have had several of the Champion radiators. ALL have been twisted. A couple so bad that they weren't usable at all.

Go with the Mercedes fan and Howie's controller. I had that set-up on my blown Hemi Dart and it worked great.
Posted By: Sho Nuff

Re: Champion 3 roll radiator Shroud and 2-10 inch fans - 08/25/18 12:21 PM

I have a similar set up in a Challenger with a 340. It's never run cooler, but I think the fans are junk personally. I plan on swapping out the fans or just going back to a mechanical fan.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Champion 3 roll radiator Shroud and 2-10 inch fans - 08/25/18 01:51 PM

I run a Champion on my built 440 in a 65 Bbody.Fit good and runs at 180 or less all day.Been in for 2 years and happy with a 150 buck rad.I run a 18 inch stainless flex fan and its been in for 20 years.Rocky
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Champion 3 roll radiator Shroud and 2-10 inch fans - 08/25/18 02:07 PM

[quote=DaveRS23]I have had several of the Champion radiators. ALL have been twisted. A couple so bad that they weren't usable at all.

ive had 2 both twisted.my car is just a hotrod not for show so i just shimmed the rad to fit 520ci 10.5 comp. with stock fan runs nice and cool in the Fl. heat.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Champion 3 roll radiator Shroud and 2-10 inch fans - 08/25/18 03:56 PM

The Contour fans are awesome, but they won't fit a 22" radiator.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Champion 3 roll radiator Shroud and 2-10 inch fans - 08/25/18 05:07 PM

my opinion on that setup is two fold. number one, i'm not a "fan" [pun intended biggrin] of aftermarket fans. they never seem to live up to their CFM output, and NEVER last as long as factory units. second, those type of shrouds should, in my opinion, have a couple of trap doors that would allow airflow at speed to assist in the cooling process. just my blathering, your mileage may vary.
beer
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Champion 3 roll radiator Shroud and 2-10 inch fans - 08/25/18 05:11 PM

I have that exact setup on one of my engine run stand engine setups, works fine. That said It never runs for more than 15-20 minutes at a go. I doubt I'd ever use it in an actual car, pretty low end stuff.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Champion 3 roll radiator Shroud and 2-10 inch fans - 08/26/18 01:21 AM

I run a Champion radiator on a PU and works well. I run it with OE style shroud and mechanical fan (Ford).

I do not think that fan setup will make you happy. Running down the road at speed the shroud will block airflow. At a stop the fans will not pull enough air. A bigger OE spec single electric can work well. Ford Contour, Lincoln Mark III and Chevy HHR are some examples. I do not know about fit in your application.

I am sure you already know an effective electric fan will require upgraded alternator and wiring. Plan on a steady draw of 25-30 amps for a fan with enough airflow. Peak draw will be higher at startup.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Champion 3 roll radiator Shroud and 2-10 inch fans - 08/26/18 04:53 PM

I ran the rad.and 2 10s on our deff non stock 426 hemi challenger. No shroud thou. It never got over 180 and could set and idle all day

Attached picture 2011-12-29_16.12.12.jpg
Posted By: RAY1969CARS

Re: Champion 3 roll radiator Shroud and 2-10 inch fans - 08/26/18 09:49 PM

I was told by a friend that there’s two problems with the system first off the fans are weak second the shroud is almost like a barrier not allowing iair to flow through it almost put pressure On flowing air somewhat of a damn
Posted By: shorthorse

Re: Champion 3 roll radiator Shroud and 2-10 inch fans - 08/26/18 10:53 PM

I agree with a lot of the posts about that style shroud. While it may work for some, my personal experience was otherwise. I spent too much money trying to figure out why my car didn't cool efficiently. After two radiators, various flow restrictors and new fans my issue ended up being the shroud design. I ended up with a Flex-a-lite Black Magic setup. Everything's fine now.
As they say, "results may vary".
© 2024 Moparts Forums