Moparts

Distributor question

Posted By: mod381

Distributor question - 08/24/18 05:07 AM

I need to replace the distributor in a 87 pick-up with a 318. The distributor that is in it has no vacuum advance on it. It does have the vacuum line that goes to the control module on the fender to control the vacuum advance. My question is can I use a distributer with the vacuum advance on it and just leave the vacuum actuator capped off on the distributor or do I need to find a distributer with out it like the one thats in it?
Posted By: tman

Re: Distributor question - 08/24/18 06:52 AM

Have you checked out your local auto parts store? Should be about $50 for a rebuilt one that would be exactly what you need. Rockauto.com should have lots of listings for your application.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Distributor question - 08/24/18 07:08 AM

As said I think one of your parts houses has rebuilt ones for cheap (advance auto, exchange iirc) & hookup the can is a good plan (to ported if available) but many people say manifold is the way to go (takes a different approach) then spend some time dialing in the dist subsystems (in order) as there is alot of gain to be had.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Distributor question - 08/24/18 06:23 PM

If the truck has Lean Burn, the distributor has two pickups inside.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Distributor question - 08/24/18 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By mod381
I need to replace the distributor in a 87 pick-up with a 318. The distributor that is in it has no vacuum advance on it. It does have the vacuum line that goes to the control module on the fender to control the vacuum advance. My question is can I use a distributer with the vacuum advance on it and just leave the vacuum actuator capped off on the distributor or do I need to find a distributer with out it like the one thats in it?

You need the right distributor. I suspect the first pic is what you already have. The second pic is what you could use to eliminate the computer system. Similar to this one at Summit linky.

Robert

Attached picture 318 dist.JPG
Attached picture conversion.JPG
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Distributor question - 08/24/18 08:51 PM

by 87 replacing lean burn is more complicated than just putting in another distributor. Carb needs replaced as well.
Posted By: mod381

Re: Distributor question - 08/25/18 12:57 AM

Thanks for the opinions. I am not trying to remove or get rid of the lean burn. I just have a good regular distributor and was curious if it would work. Since it sounds like it will not I will order the correct one.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Distributor question - 08/25/18 07:30 AM

Many leanburn vehicle did use dual pick-up dist as was said but not all of them did. Also your dist should not have any mech advance in it as I don't remember any leanburn dist's have mechanical or vacuum advance since the computer controlled the timing advance. If its a single pickup unit in theory you could lock the mech advance and not use the vacuum advance and make your dist work but if I were you I would just get the right one. Good luck , Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums