Moparts

87 New Yorker Rear Door Locks

Posted By: elmor353

87 New Yorker Rear Door Locks - 08/20/18 07:27 AM

I can't get the rear door locks to work. They won't lock with the electric lock switch and you can not manually push them either. The front door locks work just fine. I'm wondering if a child proof lock mechanism might be causing this? Any ideas?
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 87 New Yorker Rear Door Locks - 08/20/18 11:56 AM

Maybe both motors are a bit rusted inside. I had a pass door on a ramcharger do that, had to take motor apart, clean rust out and re-lube. All was well.

Re: 87 New Yorker Rear Door Locks - 08/20/18 09:44 PM

Shouldn't you be able to manually push the lock buttons, even if the motors are rusted? I guess I'll just have to pull the door panels and look.
Posted By: therocks

Re: 87 New Yorker Rear Door Locks - 08/20/18 10:55 PM

If the motors and the linkage are bad its almost impossible to manually lock them Had the same problem with elect locks on my Ramcharger.Got some new solonoids from the junkyard.pretty much the same for a lot of year with rear wheel drive.Rocky
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 87 New Yorker Rear Door Locks - 08/23/18 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By elmor353
Shouldn't you be able to manually push the lock buttons, even if the motors are rusted? I guess I'll just have to pull the door panels and look.

The motors are hooked directly to the lock mechanism so if they are stuck so is the lock. You would have to try disconnecting them to see if it frees up the locks.
Posted By: therocks

Re: 87 New Yorker Rear Door Locks - 08/23/18 03:31 PM

If you disconnect the solonoids IIRC the locks will work.Did it on mt Ram as I got tired of them sticking.Rocky

Re: 87 New Yorker Rear Door Locks - 08/24/18 08:53 AM

Thanks guys. That helps a lot and makes sense. If it doesn't rain here tomorrow, I'll pull the door panels and check it out.
© 2024 Moparts Forums