Moparts

68 GTX Build Sheet

Posted By: 70BIRD

68 GTX Build Sheet - 08/19/18 04:53 PM

I had an earlier post on a 68 GTX I went to look at and I now have a copy of the build sheet but I'm having trouble understanding it. For example the box that says "trans" has "541" in it but I don't see a match on the some of the decoder sites I'm looking at. Can anyone point in the right direction to decode? I was going to post a picture of the build sheet but I'm getting an error message that file can't be larger than 2MB so not sure if there is a way around that.

On a side note I'm going back to take another look at this car as the first time I looked I didn't have much time and was in a hurry but the car would still be a full resto with all the sheet metal that would need to be replaced.

Thanks
Posted By: topside

Re: 68 GTX Build Sheet - 08/19/18 05:12 PM

Try the hamtramckhistorical.com site.

IIRC, the # on the build/track/broadcast sheet relates to the part # for the assembly to be installed.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 68 GTX Build Sheet - 08/19/18 05:24 PM

correct, the numbers in the "build codes" section of the broadcast sheet are partial part numbers

1968 - 541 = part #2801541 - 727 for 383-4/440HP early '68 model year B & C-bodies

yes, you have to make the pic smaller than 2M to post
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 68 GTX Build Sheet - 08/19/18 05:57 PM

You can find some of your codes at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1968FleetBook-03.shtml

Re: 68 GTX Build Sheet - 08/19/18 09:41 PM

Thanks Guys, I'll check out the Hamtramck site but it sounds like I also need to find a list of the original part numbers as well?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 68 GTX Build Sheet - 08/19/18 09:44 PM

The link above will show you what option is indicated based on the three numbers for each on your broadcast sheet.
Posted By: GTXKARL

Re: 68 GTX Build Sheet - 08/20/18 12:31 AM

My kid is big into trying to decode fender tags and build sheets, if you need any help feel free to shoot a message on here and we can try to look into it for you to the best of our ability.

Re: 68 GTX Build Sheet - UPDATE - 10/04/18 04:55 PM

Hi guys, I tried decoding the build sheet on this car and gave up and paid someone to do it and got the results back. Seems like it is a basic GTX, 440-4 console 727 with a 3.23 8 3/4. Manual brakes, manual steering Sunfire Yellow with black vinyl top and black interior and was built March 27, 1968.

So when I was last there to look at car it was July and burning hot so didn't spend a lot of time crawling around so I'm going back next weekend to take another look to see if I can find numbers on transmission but I have a feeling it's original to the car.

What I am struggling with is what it would take to restore. I love the 68-69 B bodies and this one is in a nice color combo, but it is a total resto as from my brief look it everything from the firewall forward seemed to be ok as was the roof but would need at a minmum torsion bar crossmember, inner/outer rockers, doors, floor pan, trunk pan, rear frame rails, rear valence, wheel wells and probably a lot of other small metal pieces I'm not even considering.

The money wouldn't be an issue and I know I would have more invested than the car is worth after resto but after replacing so much metal do I have an original 68 GTX anymore?

Thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums