Moparts

Shaker Trim ring repair

Posted By: Suregrip

Shaker Trim ring repair - 07/09/18 09:14 PM

Anyone know how or who can replace broken studs on a shaker trim ring?
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Shaker Trim ring repair - 07/10/18 05:56 PM

My cousin had this problem, which he solved it by epoxying small correctly size/length bolts to the ring.

He ground the heads of the bolts down so that they were thin enough to still have some strength but not thick enough to obstruct anything when bolted together with the hood.

The remaining thin hex gave a good footprint for the epoxy to hold. They were able to be tightened up to the regular torque specs after the epoxy cured.
Posted By: Suregrip

Re: Shaker Trim ring repair - 07/11/18 06:23 PM

Thanks, I was considering something like that. I tried a machine shop but they said the ring was too thin to drip and tap. I will try what you suggested. Thanks again!
Posted By: scottyb1955

Re: Shaker Trim ring repair - 07/11/18 11:11 PM

I drilled mine all the way through and tapped the ring then used 3M panel bond on the holes and threaded studs in. I let it set up overnight then came back and ground the extra stud and a poxy off body work and painted it and you can't see where they were.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Shaker Trim ring repair - 07/12/18 07:56 PM

Yes, drill thru, tap, and glue works well. Gene Gregory gave me that tip decades ago when I tried to buy a new ring from him.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Shaker Trim ring repair - 07/13/18 04:02 AM

Originally Posted By 4406bbl
Yes, drill thru, tap, and glue works well. Gene Gregory gave me that tip decades ago when I tried to buy a new ring from him.

Yes that's the method I have heard works best
© 2024 Moparts Forums