Moparts

Lifter tick and oil through pushrods

Posted By: Fishmarket

Lifter tick and oil through pushrods - 06/21/18 10:26 PM

I have a 383/432 stroker with Hughes retrofit hydraulic roller lifters (morel). I have had some lifter tick from day one that seems to be getting more noticeable. My push rods have holes to allow from push rod oiling, which I do not need, and I’m now wondering if i could be bleeding off some pressure at the lifters causing the tick. I have 3/4 of a turn preload and am using a high volume oils pump. Pressure is 45-50 hot at cruise and I have used different viscosities of oil with no noticeable improvement. Currently 10w 30 mobile 1 synthetic.
Thoughts?
Posted By: CSK

Re: Lifter tick and oil through pushrods - 06/21/18 11:26 PM

try another 1/4 turn down, that made my Hughes [Morel] lifter a little quieter. the push rod oil has nothing to do with it.
Posted By: Fishmarket

Re: Lifter tick and oil through pushrods - 06/22/18 07:33 AM

My theory was that the extra oil travelling through the pushrods possibly was reducing the internal pressure at the lifter plunger causing the lifter to bleed down quicker.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Lifter tick and oil through pushrods - 06/22/18 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By Fishmarket
My theory was that the extra oil travelling through the pushrods possibly was reducing the internal pressure at the lifter plunger causing the lifter to bleed down quicker.

Probably not, unless those lifters are designed for pushrod oiling like AMC lifters are work
Posted By: CSK

Re: Lifter tick and oil through pushrods - 06/22/18 05:09 PM

They are AMC type lifters
© 2024 Moparts Forums