Moparts

Barracuda door differences ? ? ?

Posted By: RCKTMN

Barracuda door differences ? ? ? - 06/13/18 05:45 PM

Hello all,

I have a 1970 Barracuda convertible that may require doors. I am trying to get a handle on what differences there are between the doors on the '70 to '74 cars. Also, is there any difference with it being a convertible? It seems that they will all work as far as bolting up goes. Just hoping to find out how specific my search needs to be.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Posted By: magiccuda

Re: Barracuda door differences ? ? ? - 06/13/18 11:48 PM

One thing is that the window felt slides in slots on the 70 door and the 72 up has screws attaching them on and the glass is different. I think that the conv door has a wedge thing on the back of it, I will look at mine when I get a chance and let you know for sure.

Re: Barracuda door differences ? ? ? - 06/14/18 03:24 AM

Thanks magiccuda,

I appreciate that.

Paul
Posted By: geo.

Re: Barracuda door differences ? ? ? - 06/14/18 04:11 AM

I know this is a Barracuda, but I'd bet they're similar.
1970 Challenger doors are noticeably heavier than the '72-4 doors.
If you look at the side impact bracing it's a lot more substantial on the '70 doors.
Posted By: 69bfan

Re: Barracuda door differences ? ? ? - 06/14/18 05:45 AM

The change over on the window felt attachment was in 1971. The 71 to 74 E-Body outer felts attached with screws while the 70 applications used the clips.
Posted By: ns1aar

Re: Barracuda door differences ? ? ? - 06/14/18 09:16 PM

The upper window guide bolt holes are
different I think the 70s are slots and all others are round
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: Barracuda door differences ? ? ? - 06/14/18 10:15 PM

Lock mechanisms are different. On 70's, you have to lock the door from the outside, with the key. At some point, 71-up-??, you could press the inside door lock and close and lock the door.

Also, if you're mixing and matching hardtop and convertible doors, the door class is different on the two body styles.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Barracuda door differences ? ? ? - 06/15/18 02:31 PM

Also on 70 - 71 convertible doors there are dimples where you drill for the wedges. On the 72 - 74 they are not there but can still be drilled.

Re: Barracuda door differences ? ? ? - 06/16/18 05:18 PM

Thanks for the great info!

Paul
Posted By: MoparPosterChild

Re: Barracuda door differences ? ? ? - 06/18/18 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By 318 Stroker
Lock mechanisms are different. On 70's, you have to lock the door from the outside, with the key. At some point, 71-up-??, you could press the inside door lock and close and lock the door.

Also, if you're mixing and matching hardtop and convertible doors, the door class is different on the two body styles.

I wonder if the lock mechanisms are interchangeable? Could I use a 71 style on my 70 doors?
© 2024 Moparts Forums