Moparts

spray adhesive for intake gaskets

Posted By: varunner

spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/28/18 05:44 PM

I'm looking for a spray adhesive for the felpro metal pan that comes with paper gaskets.
thanks
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/28/18 09:20 PM

I use 3M spray adhesive #77 or #90 it's just to hold the gaskets in place, not a sealant
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/29/18 12:31 AM

Those gaskets used to come with a small tube of blue or green sealant and a little metal handled paint brush. It sure "looked" like Indian Head gasket sealer that comes in the little brown bottles (most part stores)
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/29/18 01:23 AM

I use the liquid Gasketcinch brand of gasket adhesive, sealer up
I'm sure Jegs and Summit sells them in different size of cans, I buy the littlest cans and use it as needed scope The bigger containers last forever and will usually start to get thicker the longer it sits on the shelfs once you open them shruggy
Follow the instructions to success, no more having to scrape gaskets off after using that really good stuff instead of using the "Right Stuff" scope thumbs twocents

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/29/18 01:23 AM

I have some of the 3M #77 which I used as contact cement for the vinyl top. Not sure how you could spray it on a gasket and not function as a sealer. Anyway a google search showed a 3M doc. that said it can be used on water pump gaskets. I think it should work ok. I want to bond both gaskets to the metal pan first, then install it at final assembly.

I just bought the gasket set, no sealer was in the box.
Posted By: R/T1968R/T

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/29/18 02:31 AM

Hi Tack red spray by permatex

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/29/18 03:55 AM

Thanks all, I'll look into them
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/29/18 05:06 AM

I use this on the valley pan paper gaskets..No leaks ever...Be prepared to do some scraping if you ever need to remove the intake... Permatex copper spray
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/29/18 05:37 AM

Originally Posted By R/T1968R/T
Hi Tack red spray by permatex
that was my old standby (thin/tacky/spray) but the last 2 spray cans of it, red globules came out in the spray. It does have a different can format that the old version of it. I did have some 3M spray (not sure if the # is the same as mentioned) but that stuff was wicked stout.

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/29/18 12:32 PM

Good suggestions. I plan on taking this engine apart a few times to tinker on it. I was thinking about using some spray rubber-like product on the oil pan/windage tray rails, with the thought of not needing any sealer for the most part with the superformance gaskets, maybe I'll do the same on the intake.

I'll need some copper coating on the shim head gaskets, so thanks for that link.

Hi Tack red spray looks good as well.
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/29/18 02:28 PM

Gasketcinch on head side, red axle grease on the intake side, super stuck racers do it, they can pull an take and reuse the gaskets over and over....their engines get torn down all the time for rules verification.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/29/18 02:51 PM

I use 3m copper gasket spray for most gaskets. Helps seal and makes it easier to take them apart after. That being said, if this is for a big block valley pan, I install it without paper gaskets. The factory never used paper gaskets there.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/29/18 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By DaytonaTurbo
if this is for a big block valley pan, I install it without paper gaskets. The factory never used paper gaskets there.

The OP might be doing a six pack manifold and needs the paper gaskets?
Posted By: jbc426

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/29/18 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By Adobedude
Gasketcinch on head side, red axle grease on the intake side, super stuck racers do it, they can pull an take and reuse the gaskets over and over....their engines get torn down all the time for rules verification.

I like this idea, and am going to try it soon. Thanks!

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/29/18 08:10 PM

My combo is a 383, cast iron intake. I need some height to line up the ports, so just the metal won't cut it.

I remember way back in the day in a car craft or similar mag. they had an article about either a pro stock or super stock chevy, they used "duck butter" on the intake gaskets for frequent removal, I think it was just white grease.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 05/30/18 05:20 PM

Not an aerosol but the best intake manifold gasket sealing material I've ever used.

http://hylomar.com/hylomar-product-range/gasket-jointing-compounds/#universalblue
Posted By: STROKIE

Re: spray adhesive for intake gaskets - 06/01/18 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
I use the liquid Gasketcinch brand of gasket adhesive, sealer up
I'm sure Jegs and Summit sells them in different size of cans, I buy the littlest cans and use it as needed scope The bigger containers last forever and will usually start to get thicker the longer it sits on the shelfs once you open them shruggy
Follow the instructions to success, no more having to scrape gaskets off after using that really good stuff instead of using the "Right Stuff" scope thumbs twocents

iagree
© 2024 Moparts Forums