Moparts

A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out

Posted By: 340Forrest

A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/21/18 10:16 PM

Hey everyone I got a 69’ Dodge Dart parts car that has a 3.91 489 sure grip that I want out of it. Pulled the drivers side axle no problem at all, passenger side will not come out, been at it for hours, resorted to beating on it with a hammer, 5 ft pry bar etc, all 5 nuts are off, it looks like the bearing is packed with dirt, sand from the sandblaster and rust, any recommendation on how to get it out? I just want this carrier!!! Thanks in advance, I’ve never had this issue with any of the other 8 3/4s I’ve done.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/21/18 10:29 PM

put the drum on backwards with the lug nuts on backwards just enough so the stud(s) threads are flush with the end(s) of the nuts & use it as a slide hammer.
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/21/18 10:33 PM

Maybe borrow a slide hammer from a friend or do the loaner tool from a parts house. Being a retired tech I have my own. wink

Tim
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/21/18 10:39 PM

You've sprayed the rusty bearing areas with a lube right?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/21/18 10:41 PM

Since the drivers side axle is out, shove a broomstick in until it bottoms out against the pass axle end and give it a whack.

Edit.....forgot about the thrust button, this won't work
Posted By: buildanother

Re: A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/21/18 10:51 PM

Got one to jump out by putting drum on until it leaves 3 or 4 lug nut threads sticking out through drum. Then put 2 different 1/2 inch pry bars between backing plate and back of drum, then spun a couple lug nuts on opposing studs, couple turns at a time, kind of using a puller effect to pull axle out. Worked for me.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/21/18 11:00 PM

tie a cable to the reversed brake drum, or wrap with cable around drum

tie cable to 4x4

drive away FAST with a BIG jerk. (that is a 'tug', not an idiot in the 4x4 with you lol )
Posted By: Magnum

Re: A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/22/18 01:22 AM

^ I could imagine a car falling off axle stands here.

Has this axle seen slicks? Spline could be twisted.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/22/18 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By Magnum
^ I could imagine a car falling off axle stands here.

OH YA!

Re: A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/22/18 02:59 AM

Quote:
I just want this carrier.
& when we get it out I wanna buy the housing from you.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/22/18 05:24 AM

I would try putting some heat on the housing at the axle bearing end while someone else pulls on it, maybe jerk on it with a chain attached to one stud with a nut, or use a loop in the chain attached to two lug studs with nuts and jerk on it several times scope
I've used that method more than once with only the chain, on your deal with rust in the housing bore I would try and use the heat to loosen the rust and then jerk away wrench
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/22/18 05:37 AM

Just got a stubborn axle out of an early 8-3/4 (tapered axle). 5 lb slide hammer didn't budge it. I thought about many ways to get the axle out and finally decided to drill a hole in the top of the housing end and attempt to crack the outer race. I couldn't crack the race, but I was able to get the race to move with an air chisel with a pointed tip. I'll just weld the hole back up and rough machine it. Turns out the housing end has been welded on before, around the radius...
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/22/18 06:23 PM

You can see if the roll pin is sheared on the thrust button. Slide a magnet on a stick pull out the half of the thrust button and put rod through the button hole and wack it.
Posted By: MoparMike1974

Re: A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/23/18 02:22 AM

If that is a real 8 3/4 A body housing you should find a good home for it. I see people selling bare housings for $300-$600 and they are getting really hard to find.
Put a chain around the leaf spring/axle housing on the side without the axle and chain it to a tree. Then put a come-along ratcheting winch on the problem axle. Take all the slack out of the cable and then put some tension on it. Next tap the axle outward with a deadblow hammer or regular hammer. It shouldnt take much effort to get it to move. After a couple hits check the tension and tighten if needed.
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/23/18 04:24 PM

I got a sure grip from a truck at the local self serve that acted like that. Limited tools, so I grabbed the driveshaft, got lined up under the car, and speared the backing plate a couple of times. Popped loose. It was the heaviest and handiest thing I could find. Not the easiest thing to do, but it worked.

Re: A body 8 3/4 axle shaft won’t come out - 05/24/18 03:42 AM

Quote:
If that is a real 8 3/4 A body housing you should find a good home for it.
I agree, I will provide a very good home for it, lots of love & nurturing .
© 2024 Moparts Forums