Moparts

No mar plastic socket inserts

Posted By: robertop

No mar plastic socket inserts - 05/08/18 09:09 PM

Hey guys, anybody know of a company selling plastic inserts for socket wrenches? To be clear I mean those hexagonal inserts to use when mounting painted bolts, in my case specifically the bolts to put the hood in my bird. I know there are homemade remedies to avoid screwing the heads of the bolts, but those inserts would do the job better. I have not found anything satisfactory yet, so thanks for any suggestions.
Posted By: None2Slow

Re: No mar plastic socket inserts - 05/09/18 12:47 AM

Snap on does, but I'm sure that there are other companies that do.

https://store.snapon.com/Non-marRing-Metric-Socket-Inserts-C754106.aspx

http://toolsetsmalls.blogspot.com/2011/06/metric-sae-plastic-socket-wrench-insert.html
Posted By: robertop

Re: No mar plastic socket inserts - 05/09/18 03:10 AM

Thank you, None2Slow!
Posted By: stevet340

Re: No mar plastic socket inserts - 05/09/18 02:21 PM

Eastwood sells them also.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: No mar plastic socket inserts - 05/10/18 03:23 PM

The paint usually isn't shipped by the steel socket but by the pressure applied to it, which will be the same with a plastic insert. Good luck.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: No mar plastic socket inserts - 05/10/18 03:53 PM

Best way to avoid paint chips on bolts? Simple, install and adjust the bolt on painted parts (hoods, fenders, deck lids, doors, etc.) before painting the car just like the factory did. I cant for the life of me figure out why so many people restoring Mopars swim up stream on this one and paint there cars in pieces as if they were building a Chevy. If you want to cover hidden areas with paint you can always pre paint those areas and assemble the car before final paint. Why fight it?

shruggy

Posted By: Neil

Re: No mar plastic socket inserts - 05/10/18 08:06 PM

Might be possible to air brush the bolt heads to hide any blemishes after tightening?

Painters who have done (fill in the blank) a certain way for years are difficult to change. The ones I have dealt with either do their way or you can take your car someplace else, pretty much. Some only paint with one brand of paint and that is it, for example....

It's become incredibly difficult to get a nice quality complete paint job on an old car so people just take what they get and are grateful to get their car back
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: No mar plastic socket inserts - 05/10/18 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Best way to avoid paint chips on bolts? Simple, install and adjust the bolt on painted parts (hoods, fenders, deck lids, doors, etc.) before painting the car just like the factory did. I cant for the life of me figure out why so many people restoring Mopars swim up stream on this one and paint there cars in pieces as if they were building a Chevy. If you want to cover hidden areas with paint you can always pre paint those areas and assemble the car before final paint. Why fight it?

shruggy

Apparently you aren't a fan of Graveyard Carz.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: No mar plastic socket inserts - 05/11/18 03:15 AM

Well if you want full, consistent coverage then you have to sacrifice chipped bolt heads. But it doesn't end there because adjusting the hinges for proper fit and closure can result in some significant paint damage. Personally I'd pre-paint the areas, bolt on and adjust everything for fit then paint the car.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: No mar plastic socket inserts - 05/11/18 03:41 AM

I'm (currently) a sponsor of GYC, but they dont call me for restoration advice wink
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: No mar plastic socket inserts - 05/11/18 08:32 AM

Originally Posted By Neil
Might be possible to air brush the bolt heads to hide any blemishes after tightening?

Painters who have done (fill in the blank) a certain way for years are difficult to change. The ones I have dealt with either do their way or you can take your car someplace else, pretty much. Some only paint with one brand of paint and that is it, for example....

It's become incredibly difficult to get a nice quality complete paint job on an old car so people just take what they get and are grateful to get their car back

Exactly!
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: No mar plastic socket inserts - 05/11/18 08:47 AM

Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms

shruggy
I can think of thousands of reasons.... average guy, no lift, small garage, superbird, rotisserie resto, I am so glad my body guy will ship the car with no front fenders, let me get it running, align it, then take it back and he installs the front. It was pretty much his way or the highway on that, he did not want to repair problems later.

© 2024 Moparts Forums