Moparts

piston coatings , do it at home ???

Posted By: JohnRR

piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/15/05 08:56 PM

can i do it at home ? wheres dulcich ? i thought i saw a pick of his in the mag doing it in the kitchen ??? of course i won't do it while the wife is home

trying to salvage some slightly used parts for a bucks down rebuild ...
Posted By: Clair

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/15/05 09:03 PM

This is the recipe my Grandpa told me about.
Give it a try.

½ cup of B32 flour
1/3 cup of used 10-40 Pennzoil
2 Red hen eggs
Combine ingredients and roll pistons in batter
Cook until a 12 pack is gone.
Posted By: Gavin

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/15/05 10:41 PM

I'm very interested in this - Dulcich seems to use them a lot and I intend to try at least some thermal barrier and possible friction reducer coatings. Not sure whether Steve did 'em himself or sent 'em out

One of those rare additions that increase efficiency with little downside other than the price!! Need to be using more modern technolgies like these.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/15/05 10:43 PM

A John there are a lots of uses for the kitchen range. However some of those coating can make the range or dishwasher unuseable for cooking or washing dishes. Please consider that first.
You might be able to pickup a range at Goodwill, Salvation Army etc on the cheap.
Max
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/15/05 11:23 PM

Yes, you can do it at home if you have a sand blaster and air brush. Thermal and dry film coatings don't create enough stink to render an oven useless, but do create enough stink to know it isn't food sitting in there.

Techline Coatings sells films for home application. I've used their stuff ina couple of my rebuilds now. I'm sure there are others out there as well if you do a web search.
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/16/05 12:25 AM

Techline Coatings lots of good info
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/16/05 01:27 AM

Quote:

A John there are a lots of uses for the kitchen range. However some of those coating can make the range or dishwasher unuseable for cooking or washing dishes. Please consider that first.
You might be able to pickup a range at Goodwill, Salvation Army etc on the cheap.
Max

max , i was joking about using the kitchen oven , though as soon as we get the new gas range the current electric is being relocated to the basement

thanks for the links , now i need to ge tan air brush .

didn't someone sell coated pistons ? speedomotive ??? not that i want to buy new slugs ...

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/16/05 02:01 AM

JohnRR,

We use the coatings all the time in our shop.
Check out Techline Coatings.
They are very simple to use, and they do work!
We spray all our parts at the shop, and then I bring them home to bake them in the oven. The thermal barrier coatings, and anti-friction coatings DO NOT smell when you are baking them, so you don't have to worry about the wife complaining too much. We do the spraying at work, because that is where all the smell is, and we have a small spray booth there.
Try it, you won't be disappointed!

Ken
Posted By: racealittle

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/16/05 01:21 PM

Which coatings are best for piston tops, combustion chambers, valves, etc.?
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/16/05 03:13 PM

Is spraying the pistons really worth the money?
Posted By: joaks360

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/16/05 06:34 PM

Quote:

Is spraying the pistons really worth the money?

And I don't know about everyone else, but I would be a little leary of sandblasting my 500 dollar pistons...?

Posted By: joaks360

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/17/05 12:02 AM

Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/17/05 01:34 AM

I too would really like to know what other people think about coating the pistons...

Not trying to hijack this thread but my pistons are out of the car and I can either a) do nothing, b) do the home coating or c) send them off to have them proffesionally coated..

What do you all think..

Posted By: pete

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/17/05 01:19 PM

btt
Posted By: Nobody

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/17/05 01:32 PM

Coat em with oil and shove em in
Posted By: moper

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/17/05 02:14 PM

It's like having too much ignition(or blocking the heat crossover) ..It will help you if you use it, but it's not necessarily a must have. They do reduce wear, extend life, and help keep the heat where it belongs, but they also cost a little for each application. Will you feel a boost? not like a cam swap, but you may notice less tendency to detonate.
Posted By: wildman340

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/17/05 03:12 PM

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/techline/ie.html

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/18/05 02:56 AM

For the piston tops, and combustion chambers we use a product from Tech Line Coatings called CBC1.
CBC1 POWERKOTE (Cermet Coating Thermal barrier)
Part #3oz. 2213

Retail packaged version of CBC2/CBX
Designed for Performance engines.
Thermal barrier coating
Reduce part temperature.Keeps heat in combustion chamber longer through the power stroke
Increase torque and H.P. Increase combustion chamber efficiency
Reduce fuel consumption
Water based no hazardous fumes, non flammable
Requires baking. Cures at 300f for 1 hour. Must be oven cured

You do have to sandblast the piston tops, but this is very easy to do. Just mask off the skirts of the pistons, and sand blast the tops w/ new sand, w/ low pressure around 35lbs. Any machine shop should be able to do this for you relatively cheap.

For the skirts, we a product called DFL-1, also from Tech Line Coatings. This is basically the same stuff that Federal Mogul, and other piston manufacturers are now using on their new pistons.
DFL-1 POWERKOTE (Dry Film Lubricant)

Part #3 oz. 2107
High pressure lubricant
Reduces friction, galling and scuffing. Increases part life.
Requires no clearance changes to compensate for the coating.
Apply to any part subject to sliding or rotating friction .
Excellent for use on bearings .
Water based no hazardous fumes .
Requires baking.
Cures at 300f minimum. Must be oven cured

All coatings should be applied w/ either a small detail spray gun, or a hobby style airbrush.

Visit there website for more info.
There products work great.
Tech Line Coatings

Ken
Posted By: fjr340gts

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/18/05 03:19 AM

Or, just send them to Automotive Machine here in MI and they'll do it for you using TechLine coatings. Check below in my signature line. There is also a price list on their webpage.
Posted By: racealittle

Re: piston coatings , do it at home ??? - 02/19/05 04:04 PM

Thanks for the info CDPKen. I'll look into the product for my piston tops. I'm not sure about baking my new cylinder heads though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums