Moparts

AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ?

Posted By: Magnumguy

AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/18/18 06:30 PM

Overheard conversation the other day, about how well those worked in a customer's old vehicle.

Wondering if they're good for MoPar engines, such as the LA and B engines.

Thanks
Posted By: therocks

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/18/18 06:32 PM

Ran regular ACs in Gms at work.Mopars we ran and I run either Autolites or NGKs.NGKs in my 65 run great and its 12.5 compression street driven.Rocky
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/18/18 07:15 PM

No, they are not worth the extra money. Marketing hype
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/18/18 10:02 PM

I run NGK or Denso plugs in my Mopars shruggy They seem to last forever and I get them cheap from work biggrin

Gus beer
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/18/18 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper

iagree Get the correct plug for your motor, not the latest gimmick. I use NGKs normally, but have had good service from all different brands of conventional plugs.
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/19/18 12:05 AM

My opinion is the absolute best plugs are Iridium, but in reality they are quite pricey and also not too many people are driving a ton of miles on their classic mopar. So the only advantage would be the smaller electrode is somewhat less likely to misfire.

I doubt you'd notice a difference.
Posted By: 360view

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/19/18 12:28 AM

That Delco design plug has more sharp edges to lower the peak KV to get the spark to start.
They have not worked noticeably better for me.

I prefer the expensive irridium alloy tiny tips, either NGK or Denso.
They both start the spark at lower KV and allow a much larger spark gap that allows a faster burn and less advance before top dead center.
Posted By: ahy

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/19/18 01:34 AM

I run NKG's in my MOPAR (standard type). Works fine. Autolights in a classic PU. Works fine.

Platinum plugs, OE style, in late model DD's.

The platinum plugs offer up to 100k mileage which is relevant in a DD. In a hot rod, what is the point? Plugs will usually be changed for some reason well before high mileage is reached. Heat range may be wrong. They may be fouled. Or as preventative maintenance.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/19/18 03:15 AM

Basic Champion for my old stuff.
Posted By: therocks

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/19/18 01:53 PM

Just dont get Bosch.Total s--t plugs in almost every car they were installed in.I cant say hw many sets I had to pull ecause they ran bad.Cant see how they still make them.Rocky
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/19/18 02:09 PM

Thanks y'all
Posted By: dogdays

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/19/18 08:33 PM

The Rapidfire plugs were developed to cut down on irregular misses by GM engineers who were doing a lot of emission testing and monitoring cylinder-by-cylinder. I believe there are a couple of SAE papers about this. So it is not all smoke and mirrors.

The question of whether you'd notice it on a dyno or racetrack is still up in the air, I'd say probably not. But that isn't measuring as precisely as the tests used to develop the plugs.

If they work in one engine they'll work in others.

I put a new set of highest-end NGK Iridium plugs in my Hyundai and noticed exactly NO mpg increase over the 100K plugs they replaced. When I pulled them out a year later one had the thin wire missing, one had it apparently welded to the ground strap instead of the center electrode, and the other two were OK. Kind of disappointing.

In real life situations, unless the current ignition system is failing or faulty there isn't a whale of a lot of power to be had by any trick ignition.

R.

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/20/18 02:03 AM

I run the Denso Iridium plugs with the thin electrode and they work perfect in my engine. I just picked this plug by happenstance at work one day. I had My Indy heads on the bench at work assembling them and I was doing a tune-up on a new Tundra and just screwed a plug in my Indy head they fit perfect and I just put them in for break in. They ran perfect on the initial test drive so I left them in and I'm on my second set in 5 years thumbs
Gus beer

Attached picture denso.jpg
Posted By: lemondana

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/20/18 08:44 AM

AC plugs suck in Mopars!
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/20/18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper

Agreed. Also I have found in my experience that 95% of plugs get changed for no good reason (I'm guilty of this as well). Most can just be cleaned and reinstalled.

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/21/18 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By dogdays
The Rapidfire plugs were developed to cut down on irregular misses by GM engineers who were doing a lot of emission testing and monitoring cylinder-by-cylinder. I believe there are a couple of SAE papers about this. So it is not all smoke and mirrors.
R.

I believe there is a US Patent Number on the Rapidfire spark plugs package that you can look up and read on Google’s Patent service. Patents usually have a “History of the Invention” section that is well worth reading and points out key past improvements in spark plugs.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/22/18 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By ruderunner

Me too.

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/22/18 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By bboogieart
Originally Posted By ruderunner

Me too.

I don't even put Champion plugs in my lawnmower anymore twocents
If there is a better plug out there then why not use it shruggy

Gus beer
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/22/18 02:16 AM

They work... shruggy
Posted By: astjp2

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/26/18 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By bboogieart
They work... shruggy
Most champions I have changed were due to resistance being too high causing a miss, they use crappy resisters....and almost no one checks the resistance of their plugs with a meter. Tim

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/28/18 12:02 AM

The internal resistors of Champions not only go bad more often than sparkplugs should, but Champion uses a unique “semiconductor” resistor that is hard to realistically test. I have had to use a 1000 volt megaohmeter, the old style hand crank megger.

If it is a Champion Double Platinum type, the little tiny discs crack their welds and disappear.

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/28/18 12:59 AM

Sample quote

SAC-9 Suppressor
Champion developed the SAC-9 suppressor in the early 1980’s. This extremely reliable resistor/suppressor is formed from strontium carbonate, aluminum oxide and copper oxide powders. In fact, out of billions made, not a single SAC-9 suppressor has ever been found to fail in service. They are used in many Champion “R” type resistor plugs. An important feature of Champion plugs with the SAC-9 suppressor is that the resistance of the plug cannot be accurately measured with typical low voltage ohmmeters.

From

http://www.motospecs.com.au/assets/files/downloads/The_Champion_Difference.pdf

http://www.championpowersports.eu/assets/Uploads/II-Partnumbering-structure.pdf
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: AC DELCO RAPID FIRE PLUGS, WORTH THE $ ? - 04/28/18 07:19 PM

Some of these newer style, long mileage plugs are designed to work with newer style ignitions, in that the juice needed to get a good spark might not be enough from a stock ecu or points. I'd consider the recommendations of whatever the manufacturer of your ignition system recommends when picking a plug.
© 2024 Moparts Forums