Moparts

clutch problem on 68 rr

Posted By: fpmopar

clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/06/18 10:53 PM

Installed a new 11 inch flywheel new clutch assy. when clutch is pushed in all the way pressure plate fingers rub on springs in clutch disc. ? any ideas.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/06/18 11:27 PM

Don't push it all the way in !!!

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/06/18 11:28 PM

How much pedal free play is there - should be about 1".
Is the disk in the right way - its marked "flywheel side"
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/06/18 11:34 PM

Backoff the adjustment some.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/06/18 11:54 PM

sounds like the disk may be in backwards.

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/07/18 04:21 AM

have about an inch of free play

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/07/18 04:24 AM

the disc is in correctly could the fingers on pressure plate be out of adjustment?
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/07/18 10:06 AM

The linkage is simply pushing the fingers too far in....back off the linkage some. Forget the inch, you need what works.

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/07/18 01:48 PM

Quote:
Forget the inch, you need what works.

NO, you need the inch. Any more free play and the overtop spring won't do its job and the pedal won't come all the way up.
Posted By: TOMRR

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/07/18 02:28 PM

Had a similar issue with a McCloud 11 inch clutch, Adjusted to about 1and 1/2 INCH FREE PLAY and have been driving for 5 years now No Issues. Just pulled 440 out and Clutch Plate looks Great !!
Not sure this will help you but worth a shot !
Posted By: rarefish

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/07/18 05:26 PM

Are you using a B&B clutch?
If so then I had pretty much the same problem with a low end street replacement clutch that I bought for my 69 340 Dart last fall. When I put the pedal near the floor I heard a scrapping noise.
Everyone said the disc in backwards or not adjusted correctly. What it turn out to be was that the pressure plate height was set too low when assembled at the factory.
When I bolted the pressure plate to the fly wheel with the disc in place. The clutch fingers over traveled and were already too close the the disc springs in the static assembly. So now when you push the clutch pedal down enough to release the clutch the fingers ended up coming into contact with the disc springs.
I took back out out the pressure plate and measured the height of the plate off of the cover mounting pads and compared it to the height of the old pressure plate that I had. I found that there was quite a difference.

Attached picture Pressure Plate 1.jpg
Attached picture Pressure Plate 2.jpg
Posted By: dan9

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/07/18 08:51 PM

McCleod I purchased from Jamie Passon did the same thing. It seemed they had a design problem at one time. They sent a new kit and that solved the problem. I would contact the clutch manufacturer.

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/09/18 03:36 AM

I think that is my problem the fingers on the plate are not adjusted correctly. Can they be adjusted or just ger another plate?

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/09/18 03:38 AM

I am using a B&B plate.

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/09/18 03:25 PM

Not an adjustment you can do.
© 2024 Moparts Forums