Moparts

Cuda rear leaf springs

Posted By: Ron TN

Cuda rear leaf springs - 04/05/18 07:05 PM

I have a 73 Barracuda that I replaced the leaf springs on (ESPO) several years ago. I have put up with a harsher ride than I like. Can't remember exactly which shocks I put in but I think they were heavy duty. I want to replace the rear shocks with Bilstein. I am also considering removing one leaf out of each spring (they now have 5 leafs) to soften the ride some. I have a factory rear sway bar on the car as well. I was thinking of removing the longest spring just under the main one with the eyelets. Is removing a leaf a good idea and is this the best leaf to remove? Any other suggestions on having a better ride is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Posted By: cruzin

Re: Cuda rear leaf springs - 04/05/18 07:24 PM

I would just try a different shock first and go from there. I had a similar situation when using Tri-City Launcher springs which is drag-designed spring and KYB shocks. An expensive set of Monroe shocks and then a set of adjustable Rancho's made the ride more enjoyable for street driving.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Cuda rear leaf springs - 04/05/18 09:36 PM

Like he said, I would try shocks first. I have Hemi springs in my car, and it is not harsh. You might try Koni shocks, they are adjustable.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Cuda rear leaf springs - 04/06/18 01:03 AM

Shocks make a big difference. Something like the Bils should do you fine even though they are a bit pricey. The difference between the KYB and the SPAX in terms of vibration and high frequency response (road surface type damping) was like night and day.

If you want a softer spring rate, that's a different story. Given a choice I would not do it by removing a leaf. See what's available - Stengel Bros has a wide selection listed for most passenger cars.
Posted By: Ron TN

Re: Cuda rear leaf springs - 04/06/18 05:24 PM

Thanks for the responses. I think I will leave the ESPO springs in place as is and take a look at the Koni or other quality adjustable shocks. I have heard the KYB's are harsh. I used them on BAJA Bugs years ago and for them KYB was the way to go. Here I am talking about a good riding 73 ebody that I like to cruise around in. BTW, can I get an opinion on the best adjustable shocks for both front and rear. I don't like throwing money around but I do like quality and performance so I am not afraid to spend for what I want. Thanks.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Cuda rear leaf springs - 04/06/18 06:58 PM

Koni's were the way to go for racing. Moparmitch has them on his autocrosser - track car IIRC.
I think you will be just as well off with a good non-adjustable. See what Firm Feel and Hotchkiss are offering. Both have lotos of real world experience. Arguably FF has more being into mopars far longer, but Hotchkis dove in big time developing several cars to test out their own stuff.
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Cuda rear leaf springs - 04/06/18 08:47 PM

seems you couldn't go wrong with Bilsteins for $100 each.

if you need adjustable I think the Vi-King are thought to be the low cost quality shock.
© 2024 Moparts Forums