Moparts

Seat belt questions

Posted By: 440mopar

Seat belt questions - 04/04/18 01:40 AM

I'm trying to put a nice set of seat belts together for my Dart using belts from three different sets of belts I have. One of the questions I have is, is it possible to remove the seat belts from the retractors for the front seats without destroying the plastic enclosure? I have a couple that have real nice belts and buckles but the plastic enclosures are not very nice and I have a couple of others that have real nice enclosures but rusty buckles. So I would like to combine them if I can get the belts out of them. Another question I have is regarding the bolts. I have one complete set of belts that had all of the bolts still with them. There are three different lengths of bolts. Is there a particular placement for them depending on length? I know which two bolts are for the shoulder belts so I just need to know where the others for the belts go based on their length. And lastly, where do the approx. 1/2" metal spacers and rubber washers go?
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: Seat belt questions - 04/04/18 03:29 PM

Spacers, long bolts and washers are used at locations with more than one belt fastened to the floor. This would be in the two rear locations at the side of the trans hump. It would also be in the front on either side of the trans hump. Short bolts are used where there is only one belt attached.
Posted By: rarefish

Re: Seat belt questions - 04/04/18 05:23 PM

I don't know if this helps, but here is a picture of the rear seat belts for my 69 Dart, laid out in the position that they are installed.

Attached picture 100_4298.JPG

Re: Seat belt questions - 04/05/18 10:33 PM

Thanks guys. Does anyone know about the retractor question I asked? I would really like to swap the belts from one retractor to the other but I don't want to risk ruining the plastic enclosures trying to get the belts out of them if it can't be done.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Seat belt questions - 04/06/18 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By 440mopar
Thanks guys. Does anyone know about the retractor question I asked? I would really like to swap the belts from one retractor to the other but I don't want to risk ruining the plastic enclosures trying to get the belts out of them if it can't be done.

What do you mean plastic enclosures? Are talking about the rubber boots?

Re: Seat belt questions - 04/06/18 05:29 PM

Mine seem pretty rigid, more like plastic than rubber but yes, that is what I am referring to.
Posted By: LTLBEE

Re: Seat belt questions - 04/06/18 07:19 PM

Do you have a picture of the belts you want to switch? I had rusty buckles on mine and I was able to take the buckles off and switch them with good buckles from another set with bad webbing.

Re: Seat belt questions - 04/06/18 10:02 PM

We use a heat gun or hair drier to soften them up a bit. Not too hot to distort them. They usually have two rivets that hold them to the metal. be carefull not to tear the rubber.
Posted By: RichL1967

Re: Seat belt questions - 04/07/18 11:43 PM

How did you manage to sew them?

Re: Seat belt questions - 04/07/18 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By RichL1967
How did you manage to sew them?

Our belts are sewn using an industrial sewing machine

Re: Seat belt questions - 04/09/18 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By dart4forte
We use a heat gun or hair drier to soften them up a bit. Not too hot to distort them. They usually have two rivets that hold them to the metal. be carefull not to tear the rubber.

Thanks. I will give it a try.
© 2024 Moparts Forums