Moparts

Pertronix distributor with Eddy heads?

Posted By: busboy

Pertronix distributor with Eddy heads? - 03/20/18 02:51 AM

Looking at using the Petronix 3 distributor with the Eddy heads on my 440. Guy in the parts store says there's a note in their catalogue that says aftermarket heads may need to be ground down to make clearance for the distributor. He then said it's an older catalogue. I thought Pertronix had reduced the diameter of their newer distributors to avoid just this. Anyone using a Pertronix with Eddy heads?
Posted By: Cudaful

Re: Pertronix distributor with Eddy heads? - 03/20/18 03:14 AM

I had to trim some down on my 440 source heads with my Pertronix 3 billet, wasn't a big deal.

Re: Pertronix distributor with Eddy heads? - 03/20/18 03:28 AM

Found a pic, should have taken a pic before I painted it but it's between the two bolt holes on the head.

Attached picture dist1.jpg

Re: Pertronix distributor with Eddy heads? - 03/20/18 03:30 AM

Attached picture dist2.jpg

Re: Pertronix distributor with Eddy heads? - 03/20/18 04:26 AM

Thanks for the pics Cudaful, I was thinking there was more to it than that. Very helpful up
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Pertronix distributor with Eddy heads? - 03/20/18 04:57 AM

I had to grind a lot of material from my RPM heads to get the Pertronix to fit. In fact, it was so much I was afraid I was going hit water, so I started grinding the distributor housing instead. twocents

Re: Pertronix distributor with Eddy heads? - 03/20/18 05:40 AM

Mine was a 383 block so I don't know if it makes a difference. Best to call Pertronix but I love the distributor, fires up instantly.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Pertronix distributor with Eddy heads? - 03/20/18 12:47 PM

I’ve done two conversions on regular mopar distributors to the Pertronix. Both are easy to convert and look stock on a restoration. Man they start great compared to the points and the Mopar ECU. The first thing I noticed in driving the last one was the car ran much smoother. Converting the electronic distributor is easier and road repair would be very simple if you carry a spare unit.

Re: Pertronix distributor with Eddy heads? - 03/21/18 04:20 AM

Good suggestion fastmark, I used a Pertronix conversion on a stock distributor on my slant six car, worked great! Really wanted the rev limiter function with the P3 for this 440 in my 4 speed car but converting the guts of the original distributor may do for now.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Pertronix distributor with Eddy heads? - 03/21/18 02:04 PM

The P three has a rev limiter. I think it’s only available in the point type. I’ve got one in my Charger. I have not hit the rev limiter yet. 😳

Re: Pertronix distributor with Eddy heads? - 03/22/18 05:13 PM

Thanks 64Post, were you eventually able to get everything to fit?
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Pertronix distributor with Eddy heads? - 03/23/18 04:15 AM

Yes.
© 2024 Moparts Forums