Moparts

2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance

Posted By: Crazy68Dart

2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance - 02/28/18 08:10 PM

Hey everyone, been a long time since I posted.

On my dart, I currently have 2" TTIs (vintage 12 or so years ago when I bought them) on a low deck. I'm not thrilled with the ground clearance, they hang down, and don't look all the nice.

You can ask why I have these headers on the engine I am currently am running, and I totally agree, they are overkill. At the time, I didn't want to buy parts twice, and was planning a stroker build (and still am..... someday....).

Anyway, I'm trying to determine for any of you that have went from 2" TTIs to possibly the 1 7/8" TTIs on a low deck, how much the ground clearance improved? The 2" I know were designed for the RB, but I'm not actually sure how different they are as I've never seen them side by side.

Otherwise, thinking about a set of Shumacher's or maybe something different. The Dart has AlterKtion, so I don't have as many clearance issues to deal with.

Thanks!
Posted By: bobby66

Re: 2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance - 03/01/18 02:54 AM

Do you have RB headers on a low deck engine?
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: 2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance - 03/01/18 03:41 AM

There was a set of Doug's D451's on the return table at Summit the other day for $300 with 25% off that. Some guys have used 1 7/8" B-body tubes on A-bodies with small dings shruggy

Gus beer

Re: 2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance - 03/01/18 05:13 AM

Bobby, if the two inch ttis are considered RB headers then yes, I am. That is part of what I want to confirm. They hang low.

Gus, thanks. I'm not familiar with those headers, they low deck specific? I'll look them up. Maybe I'll run up to summit over lunch tomorrow. They are probably gone but who knows.

Re: 2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance - 03/01/18 04:19 PM

On the TTI site they say a low deck engine must use a raised exhaust port head to run the 2" headers.

Re: 2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance - 03/01/18 04:33 PM

Yeah, I saw that note too. I *think* that was mainly for clearance issues around the block, etc. I had to grind my block and slightly ding the header on the pass side. Otherwise, no issues, other than they hang lower than I want.

How much higher are raised exhaust port heads than standard? I'm sure it would help some with overall ground clearance, but I wonder how much...
Posted By: topside

Re: 2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance - 03/01/18 06:33 PM

I have a 440-based Duster, Indy heads, with those headers. No problem with ground clearance; Milodon pan is lower than headers. Car sits stock height if not a bit lower. They do interfere at pitman arm.
Posted By: wedgg440

Re: 2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance - 03/01/18 06:43 PM

If you go to the TTI catalog you will learn that when using a low deck block in an A-body you will need to use Indy SR heads on your build.The Indy SR heads have 3/4"raised exhaust ports and will raise your headers that amount.I built a 1970 Duster with that setup about 5 years ago and it fit perfectly with good ground clearance.

Re: 2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance - 03/01/18 07:44 PM

3/4" of an inch up would still not make me happy.

I'll try to get a pic of the headers and how low they are hanging and post. They are definately lower than the oil pan (rear sump 6 quart Mopar pan to clear rack on AlterKtion).

Re: 2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance - 03/01/18 07:55 PM

I've run their 1-3/4" headers on 400 and 440 engines and had plenty of ground clearance. Easy to work around, too.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: 2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance - 03/02/18 08:39 AM

Originally Posted By fourgearsavoy
There was a set of Doug's D451's on the return table at Summit the other day for $300 with 25% off that. Some guys have used 1 7/8" B-body tubes on A-bodies with small dings shruggy

Gus beer

I wish Doug's made something bigger than 1 3/4".

Re: 2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance - 03/05/18 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By OhioMopar

Gus beer

D452... I think that is a 2" header.

Here is a not so great pic of the headers on my car.

Attached picture smallheader.jpg
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: 2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance - 03/05/18 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By Crazy68Dart

Gus beer

Oops. I guess I didn't finish my thought. Bigger than 1 3/4 for a low deck.

Re: 2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance - 03/05/18 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By Crazy68Dart

Gus beer

Oops. I guess I didn't finish my thought. Bigger than 1 3/4 for a low deck.

No prob! I should have put that together myself, haha.
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: 2" TTI vs other headers ground clearance - 03/05/18 08:19 PM

I've never run TTI's at all, but I have run 2" Hookers & 2" Heddmans. The Hookers gave me about 2" more ground clearance vs. Heddman. Hookers had 1 slip tube & all 4 Heddman primaries were slip tubes. Hope this helps at least a little.
© 2024 Moparts Forums