Moparts

1984 Dodge Ram Steering Wheel Issue

Posted By: 79volare

1984 Dodge Ram Steering Wheel Issue - 02/26/18 07:44 PM

Wondering if someone can help me, I got a 84 Ram plow truck, this weekend the tilt steering wheel I believe is breaking, I can move the wheel basically in a circle even when the truck is off, how do i get to the tilt wheel area? I know remove the steering wheel....but what else do I need? It's a common issue I've seen b4, but never taken 1 apart myself.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 1984 Dodge Ram Steering Wheel Issue - 02/26/18 11:51 PM

You certain it's not the shaft coupler right above gearbox causing the slop. They go bad alot on them.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: 1984 Dodge Ram Steering Wheel Issue - 02/27/18 02:57 AM

Sounds like the bolts for the tilt mechanism came loose. Pretty common.
I'd you tube it for how to. It's not terrible but you will need a lock plate tool and puller for the pivot pins. Parts stores usually have them for not much money.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 1984 Dodge Ram Steering Wheel Issue - 02/27/18 04:21 AM

some parts stores rent or loan tools. I know O'Reillys does.
Posted By: therocks

Re: 1984 Dodge Ram Steering Wheel Issue - 02/27/18 02:34 PM

Its the tilt under the wheel.The bolts come loose and the wheel moves.Did tons of them at work and also on my Ram.Its a GM column.Take the wheel off and you will see the tilt part under the piece for turnsignal /horn etc.Tighten them down.Some are a pain to get to.Been like 20 years since Ive done one but not a terrible job.Rocky
Posted By: moparx

Re: 1984 Dodge Ram Steering Wheel Issue - 02/27/18 04:57 PM

some tilt mechanisms you can get to the bolts without pulling the pins. you just have to get creative with your tool kit and tilting the wheel into different positions. the bolt heads may also be male torx fasteners. as said before, common problem. if i can get the bots out, i spray "electrical" cleaner in the holes, then use a dab of "pink" loctite on the threads.
beer
Posted By: therocks

Re: 1984 Dodge Ram Steering Wheel Issue - 02/27/18 08:02 PM

I agree I did many without pulling the pins.I always locktite them when i can get to the threads Never had any work loose after that.In the day did tons at the shop on GMs.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums