Moparts

BB engine brackets

Posted By: NachoRT74

BB engine brackets - 02/18/18 02:03 PM

A friend of mine is working on reproduce locally ( for his 73 Chally ) these engine mounts brackets. Supossely each side got its own engine mount bracket BUT working just on one of them, found this one fits the same on both sides.

why then 2 differents for these mounting brackets ?

( pics coming )

Re: BB engine brackets - 02/18/18 02:18 PM

these are the first test and fitting test. He got both sides as "template" from a friend but found there is not really a difference trying to fit any side to the opposite side.

Metal is thicker than the originals.

We are aware about the spacer welded to one of the engine mounts ( for whatever reason ) on the lower mount bolt. But talking just about fitting.

Attached picture 2018-01-31-PHOTO-00001113.jpg
Attached picture 2018-01-31-PHOTO-00001114.jpg
Attached picture 2018-02-12-PHOTO-00001184.jpg
Attached picture 2018-02-12-PHOTO-00001190.jpg

Re: BB engine brackets - 02/18/18 02:25 PM

I guess maybe the diff ofset for the engine mounts studs could be a reason ? but then... is there another reason ? originals are both diff shape somehow
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: BB engine brackets - 02/18/18 03:39 PM

Not sure if this might help you but I think these were from a big block C body. I took 4 shots each time keeping the same mounts on the same side of the photo, just rotated for a different comparative view.

Attached picture BB MM 1.jpg
Attached picture BB MM 2.jpg
Attached picture BB MM 3.jpg
Attached picture BB MM 4.jpg

Re: BB engine brackets - 02/18/18 04:04 PM

I can see the diff shapes, but can't get the reason for that.

440 source states the ones they are selling are the same but just the spacer to mark the diff side.... aside the mount offset provissions, since mount is the same for both sides but turned around ( hence the offset holes made diff )

http://store.440source.com/Engine-Support-Brackets-66-72B-66-73C-70-74E/productinfo/119%2D1000/

Re: BB engine brackets - 02/18/18 04:05 PM

I guess the driver side gets that "bed" on bracket where the mount goes to hold better the engine torque direction ? helping to keep the position for the mount against the bracket
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: BB engine brackets - 02/18/18 06:38 PM

Maybe the unit with 4 holes and the supporting through passage pipe is the driver side and meant to provide clearance in power steering cars? The link you provided did state those mounts would not work in A body cars, but that might be for other special reasons. In this photo I aligned the holes and traced the outline to show the difference

Attached picture BB MM 5.jpg
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: BB engine brackets - 02/19/18 03:26 PM

I just removed a driver side mount from a 67 c-body 440/727 I drug home this weekend.

the driver side mount had 2 short bolts and 1 long bolt through the support tube welded to mount.

no block lug. nut on long bolt is close to backside of oil pump on driver side. tube/long bolt supports mount from twisting as engine lifts from torque.

they seem to be they same as in the pics.

free if someone needs a set.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: BB engine brackets - 02/19/18 09:18 PM

The spacer is so that you can get the bolt and nut off with the oil pump in close proximity. Believe me, it IS necessary (or, at least, very nice to have)...As for the different shape, not too sure about that.

Re: BB engine brackets - 02/20/18 02:52 AM

oil pump or steering gear box ?
Posted By: kenworth_goose

Re: BB engine brackets - 02/20/18 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By scratchnfotraction
I just removed a driver side mount from a 67 c-body 440/727 I drug home this weekend.

the driver side mount had 2 short bolts and 1 long bolt through the support tube welded to mount.

no block lug. nut on long bolt is close to backside of oil pump on driver side. tube/long bolt supports mount from twisting as engine lifts from torque.

they seem to be they same as in the pics.

free if someone needs a set.

I'm going to build some out of flat stock, also doing the big block truck brackets. I could use a set to make a pattern from. I'll send them back to you when I'm finished. Or sent them on to someone that needs them if you want.
© 2024 Moparts Forums