Moparts

318 harmonic balancer questions...

Posted By: plazomat

318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/25/18 01:07 AM

Hi There,

Can anyone help me out with the outer dimensions of the 1968ish 318 harmonic balancer? I can't get to the car for a while to pull the balancer off and measure it...I am designing a 36-1 trigger wheel for EFI conversion.

Thanks
Plaz

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/26/18 07:12 AM

BTT
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/26/18 08:25 AM

What measurements do you need,diameter,circumference,etc.? I have a couple '67 318's one out and one in my van.As long as it is on engine measurements I can get themfor you.Off location so it may take a day or two though.

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/26/18 06:35 PM

Thanks RTS - hoping for outside diameter at least. If I could get the diameter of the center hole the crank goes through that would be awesome.

Plaz
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/26/18 06:42 PM

OD is 7&1/4"

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/27/18 12:34 AM

Thanks Robert..

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/27/18 01:11 AM

I wrote myself a note to get the ID for you tomorrow.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/27/18 01:41 AM

Plazomat.... are you making the EFI from an existing system?

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/27/18 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
I wrote myself a note to get the ID for you tomorrow.

That would be awesome Robert - can't thank you enough.

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/27/18 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By roadrunninMark
Plazomat.... are you making the EFI from an existing system?

I have a very slow moving project that it coming close...but it has been for a few years.

What I have done is take the TBI system from a 350 Chebby and modded the ECU/computer with a megasquirt MS2 processor board.

Stage 1 will be running HEI ignition - triggered from a lean burn distributor.

Stage 2 will be using LS2 coils mounted on the valve covers running in wasted spark - thus I need a crank mount trigger wheel to get crank position information into the modded ECU.

I really hope to be running stage 1 by the end of this summer.

Plaz

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/28/18 12:51 AM

I got roughly 1.532" on the crank snout & roughly 1.540" on the dampener ID"

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/28/18 03:35 AM

Thanks Robert - hope it wasn't too much trouble.

Plaz

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/28/18 04:05 AM

not a bit bro, glad to do it
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/28/18 04:17 AM

Looks like Robert saved me a trip to the storage garage!

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/28/18 05:57 AM

& I ended up doing several hours of eng work out there today while I was at it otherwise I woulda ended up just layeing in bed all day watching tv (exc for a 6 mile jog) so everybody came out ahead.
Posted By: moparx

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/28/18 05:30 PM

not to be a party pooper, but shouldn't the damper be a press fit on the crank ? with .008 bigger id on the damper, that thing would fall on the crank snout sideways ! what am i missing here ?
beer

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/28/18 09:50 PM

& I ended up doing several hours of eng work out there today while I was at it otherwise I woulda ended up just layeing in bed all day watching tv (exc for a 6 mile jog) so everybody came out ahead.

It's a win win.

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/28/18 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By moparx

not to be a party pooper, but shouldn't the damper be a press fit on the crank ? with .008 bigger id on the damper, that thing would fall on the crank snout sideways ! what am i missing here ?
beer
these were with some plastic calipers, I can mike the snout dead on with a regular mike if needed, the dampener ID was rusty. I was assuming we only needed a "close" measurement
Posted By: moparx

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/29/18 05:08 PM

sorry if i came off as doubting you RR. i missed the "rough idea" part. in the future, i'll try to read more closely !
beer

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/29/18 05:49 PM

You're fine bro & in fact I am gonna go out there in a few minutes & get an exact measurement. Plus I might of transposed em as I wrote the 2 numbers on my hand then I came in & without thinking washed my hands then saw that the numbers were barely legible. (the whole day went like that!) EDIT I got 1.532" on the snout with a mike & I cant find my snap gauges so I tried the plastic calipers again on the dampener ID & got 1&9/16 (1.5625"), the edges on the calipers ain't rounded to match the concave circular ID so that (plastic caliper)reading is inaccurate.

Re: 318 harmonic balancer questions... - 01/30/18 06:42 AM

You're fine bro & in fact I am gonna go out there in a few minutes & get an exact measurement. Plus I might of transposed em as I wrote the 2 numbers on my hand then I came in & without thinking washed my hands then saw that the numbers were barely legible. (the whole day went like that!) EDIT I got 1.532" on the snout with a mike & I cant find my snap gauges so I tried the plastic calipers again on the dampener ID & got 1&9/16 (1.5625"), the edges on the calipers ain't rounded to match the concave circular ID so that (plastic caliper)reading is inaccurate.

Thanks Robert - this is more than accurate enough for what I am doing.

Plaz
© 2024 Moparts Forums