Moparts

HELP it's 4 degrees out and my Driver window is stuck down

Posted By: Whitey Nocar

HELP it's 4 degrees out and my Driver window is stuck down - 01/01/18 03:32 PM

2017 Ram 2500.
There are no dealerships open today being New Year's Day.
I did spray the salt off the truck 20 minutes before putting my window down in 13 degree weather yesterday. Thought it just froze in place so I fashioned a heating devise out of a hair dryer and the crevasse tool on the vacuum. No luck.
There is a vey quiet single tick when I hit the switch, but no window motor sound at all. I looked for a window fuse but can only find front right door module fuse, all the other windows work.
Any ideas???
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: HELP it's 4 degrees out and my Driver window is stuck down - 01/01/18 03:38 PM

Only thing I would know to start with is get it inside and see what happens.

space heater blowing on door?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: HELP it's 4 degrees out and my Driver window is stuck down - 01/01/18 03:48 PM

I would think there is continuity (fuse OK) cuz it clicks but I know that a starter relay can click with an open. I am WAG ing that each window does not have a seperate fuse so the others do work so I think it is being powered. What Flash said I would just get it inside somewhere.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: HELP it's 4 degrees out and my Driver window is stuck down - 01/01/18 03:53 PM

It may be an "anti-trap" feature on the motor causing it to drop out due to more than expected resistance at that motor position.

You may be able to find the initialization process [in the manual after replacing the battery?] Typically that allows the motor run at full torque...

Re: HELP it's 4 degrees out and my Driver window is stuck down - 01/01/18 03:57 PM

Hmmm, thanks. I will dig through the manual. If anyone happens to know the initialization process off the top of their head, please feel free to chime in
Thanks
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: HELP it's 4 degrees out and my Driver window is stuck down - 01/01/18 04:01 PM

Was thinking,,,,"possibly" pour some alcohol/de-icer like we use on air-lines-trucks.
but odds are it won`t get to where its stuck.

I had an issue like this with a sunroof 30 years ago. Found a indoor self/car wash stall. closed the door and waited............
Posted By: buildanother

Re: HELP it's 4 degrees out and my Driver window is stuck down - 01/01/18 05:14 PM

Did you bang on door panel with the side of your fist a little while holding button? Did that a few times at chev dealer, sort of the same as getting an in-tank fuel pump to run while hitting tank bottom.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: HELP it's 4 degrees out and my Driver window is stuck down - 01/01/18 07:51 PM

Put it in heated garage or shop for awhile before trying to use it any more twocents
If that is not possible start it up and cover that window really well with several layers of good insulation, blankets, large moving pads or something else that is good, and let it run for as long as it takes to unthaw that window with the heater on full blast up scope

Re: HELP it's 4 degrees out and my Driver window is stuck down - 01/01/18 08:00 PM

Brought it to a friends heated garage for a couple hours with an additional torpedo heater aimed at the door. Melted all the ice off the truck but still won't go up. Something else's is the problem. I'm gonna drop it at the dealer in the morning.
Thanks for everyone's input. I'll let you know what it ends up being
© 2024 Moparts Forums