Moparts

Cooling Fan

Posted By: 69hemibeep

Cooling Fan - 12/25/17 08:00 PM

Is there an after market that will pull more than the factory water pump mounted fixed fan?
Posted By: topside

Re: Cooling Fan - 12/25/17 08:39 PM

Not sure what your combination is, but I've cooled some pretty "hot" motors with stock stuff. Fan shroud is the biggest deal, worth 20 degrees or more. On a couple of cars, using a smaller fan pulley sped up the fan enough to make a significant difference.
I consider 180 in traffic on a 90+ day the max temp I want to see.
OEM fan shrouds for 22" radiators are rare & spendy, but if correct appearance isn't important, later plastic shrouds can be adapted. Also, Speedway in Lincoln, NE sells a universal shroud that fits a 26" rad pretty well but you have to fab brackets.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Cooling Fan - 12/25/17 09:33 PM

More info on what is going on, what pump (# of vanes/anti cav plate or not) how many fan blades. what stat. spring in lower hose? Stat opening all the way. shroud or no shroud. timing/A/F ratio in the ballpark. running hot at idle or around town or on highway. how hot. confirmed with an accurate gauge. any recent part/adjustment settings that could be impacting the cooling system (or A/F ratio). recent issue. happened out of the clear blue.

Re: Cooling Fan - 12/25/17 09:41 PM

Summer time here of coarse its going to run warm but manageable but when I added the A/C condenser it was to much without the air turned on, the main problem is at traffic stops. 68 Valiant 440 auto 18" 6 blade fan shroud 3" thick 22" Champion radiator Mopar performance aluminum water pump and housing 180 stat
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Cooling Fan - 12/25/17 09:54 PM

Quote:
but when I added the A/C condenser it was to much without the air turned on, the main problem is at traffic stops.
Yes as you surmised you need more airflow. I'm thinking 6 blades is adequate & that the pulley ratio needs speeded up & the fan does need to be properly spaced into the shroud (~1/2 or a bit more in). its tough to get the right pulley with the right depth so the belts line up.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Cooling Fan - 12/26/17 12:24 AM

Clutch or no clutch fan?
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Cooling Fan - 12/26/17 01:49 AM

I was looking for the same answer a little while back

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post2416262

Re: Cooling Fan - 12/26/17 02:38 PM

No clutch, no room. I do have the spring in the lower hose but that is for cruising speeds. Read my plugs and they show a lean condition which equals heat and I'm thinking a header wrap to get some of the heat out from under hood.
Posted By: rapom

Re: Cooling Fan - 12/26/17 03:18 PM

I had a problem like yours only my a/c wouldn't work well when sitting in traffic. I have a fixed fan with a shroud. I installed a pusher electric fan on top of the condensor and the problem was fixed. It only comes on when the a/c is on or if I get above 180.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Cooling Fan - 12/27/17 02:35 AM

I much prefer the Milodon Water Pump with anti-cav plate to the MP pump, as much as I like to keep things Mopar whenever possible
© 2024 Moparts Forums