Moparts

Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine

Posted By: MuuMuu101

Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/21/17 10:17 PM

So, maybe it's just me or maybe the Harbor Freight instructions just suck, but I'm trying to put hydraulic fluid into my 2 ton Harbor Freight Cherry Picker so that I can lift my engine and fix my motor mounts or add shims. The instructions mention to remove an oil fill cap and to pour oil into the cylinder until it overflows; however, nowhere else in the entire instruction manual does it mention which hole is the oil fill hole. So, naturally I look at the cylinder and say, "Hey there is this rubber fitting and this hole is at the highest point of the cylinder, maybe that's it." So, I yank the rubber fitting, which was a pain in the butt since it's tapered, and grab my bottle of hydraulic fluid and dribble it inside. Not knowing if it's doing anything or even filling, I say to myself, "Let's test to see if it's actually doing anything." I grab the rubber fitting to put it on and due to the taper it doesn't want to go back in the hole.

So, I'm just guessing here, but I did something wrong, right?

Any tips or advice? Is there another way to adjust my motor mounts without using a cherry picker?

Attached picture 20171221_113727.jpg
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/21/17 10:27 PM

I've done it for many years by putting the floor jack under the oil sump. With a piece of plywood or 6x6 between the pan and jack pad to spread out the weight better.

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/21/17 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By amxautox
I've done it for many years by putting the floor jack under the oil sump. With a piece of plywood or 6x6 between the pan and jack pad to spread out the weight better.

That's actually not a bad idea. Thanks!

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/21/17 10:29 PM

As far as putting the rubber plug back in, put some vasoline on the plug, it should go in easier.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/21/17 10:37 PM

That's the right hole for oil. Fill it and work the plug back in.

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/22/17 12:05 AM

I was able to lift the engine and make spacers using Tom's method, but I will keep chugging with the hydraulic cylinder.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/22/17 05:12 AM

When you fill the lift cylinder, be sure the rod is completely down inside the cylinder, or when it goes back in, the oil will run out the fill hole. Gene
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/22/17 05:40 AM

A lot of those rubber plugs need to be stretched out with an allen wrench or other suitable thin rod in order to be put back in the hole. That is, if it has a place in the center to put the rod.

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/22/17 05:44 AM

...and don't punch a hole in the rubber with the allen wrench...

Might have to use a small screwdriver to push the lip into the hole, working it around the hole a little at a time. Do it easy like, with care.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/22/17 07:31 AM

Quote:
Might have to use a small screwdriver to push the lip into the hole, working it around the hole a little at a time. Do it easy like, with care.
agreed
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/22/17 03:48 PM

I had a toy back in late 70s or early 80s that used rubber rivits to hold panels and parts together. The "riviter" was a tool that grabbed the head and stretched the body of the rubber rivit so it would squeeze through the holes. I think you need that tool.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/22/17 04:02 PM

It'll go back in, just be careful. My china cherry picker came pre-filled with oil. In fact I've never had any hydraulic cylinder that I had to add oil too unless it leaked out.
Posted By: Nukechargerboy

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/22/17 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By RoadRunner
I had a toy back in late 70s or early 80s that used rubber rivits to hold panels and parts together. The "riviter" was a tool that grabbed the head and stretched the body of the rubber rivit so it would squeeze through the holes. I think you need that tool.

Rivitron! I had that too!
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/22/17 05:35 PM

This may sound funny but try twisting (screwing) it back in rather than pushing straight on it.
Posted By: MoJoe

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/22/17 05:36 PM

I've used the sharpened point of a wooden pencil to plug holes in quite a few situations like that. Cut it about a 1" for easy handling
Posted By: moparx

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/22/17 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By MoJoe
I've used the sharpened point of a wooden pencil to plug holes in quite a few situations like that. Cut it about a 1" for easy handling

iagree wipe the area around the hole, and let the graphite in the pencil lead work.
beer

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/22/17 07:52 PM

Interesting pencil tricks. Thanks!
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/23/17 01:41 PM

I'm not sure the cherry picker I have has had that plug for the last 5 years. A wrap around the ram with electrical tape and it's good to go. laugh2
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/23/17 05:25 PM

How about a self tapping screw of the appropriate size with a rubber washer. shruggy

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/23/17 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
I'm not sure the cherry picker I have has had that plug for the last 5 years. A wrap around the ram with electrical tape and it's good to go. laugh2

I like the way you think. work laugh2
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/24/17 02:13 PM

First, did you try it to see if it works? I've never had to add oil to any cylinder either.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/24/17 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By MuuMuu101
Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda

I like the way you think. work laugh2

Duct tape! laugh2
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/24/17 06:13 PM

I never had to ad oil to my cherry picker but to bottle jacks. The rubber plugs are difficult to get in but I have used a small screw driver to work it in. I have also lost the rubber plug upon removal , bing and it was gone forever. The duct tap method was used and has been on for years.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/29/17 02:21 PM

OMG... runaway
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/29/17 02:49 PM

Harbor Freight sells an engine support bar, I have used mine for shimming motor mounts, header installs, FWD car timing belt jobs, evn FWD clutch jobs (it can even help put the FWD trans back in while still supporting the eng)

Even my complete front end detail/rebuild.... look Ma "No K frame"

Attached picture 13509022_10154289499256171_7514217478992478384_n.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/29/17 05:21 PM

i whipped up an engine support bar from a chunk of "unistrut", that generic 1 1/2" or so square tube with one open side and all the slotted 1/2" or so holes in the opposing side. works great, is cheap, readily available at almost any hardware store and home improvement centers, and support ends and hooks are easy to come up with. unfortunately, i don't have any pics of it in use.
beer

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/29/17 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By Guitar Jones
First, did you try it to see if it works? I've never had to add oil to any cylinder either.

Yes I did! Because of that I ended up reading the instructions which states, "Hyrdaulic Oil Not Included."
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/29/17 06:38 PM

Did the instructions say how to remove and install the rubber plug? LOL
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/29/17 06:41 PM

Its really not that hard guys. A little lube and push it in.

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/29/17 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By mopars4ever
Did the instructions say how to remove and install the rubber plug? LOL

The instructions didn't even refer that the plug was the fill hole.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 12/31/17 09:26 AM

I got hair plugs. Pretty successful. Use the Bosley Method.
Posted By: 1fastrunner

Re: Harbor Freight Engine Cherry Picker / Lifting an Engine - 01/17/18 02:55 AM

I bought the Orange one from Harbor Freight, it had oil in it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums