Moparts

Small Block Pushbutton Trans on Big Block???

Posted By: MFR440

Small Block Pushbutton Trans on Big Block??? - 10/24/17 08:30 PM

I have a Poly 318 with Pushbutton 727 and want to use it on a future build 440. Does anyone make an adapter, or is there any way to make it work on a Big Block?

Just thinking out loud....lol

Thanks!
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Small Block Pushbutton Trans on Big Block??? - 10/24/17 09:13 PM

Have the guts put in a BB case.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Small Block Pushbutton Trans on Big Block??? - 10/24/17 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By slantzilla
Have the guts put in a BB case.

He needs a big block push button/cable shift 727 transmission case to use the push button shifter.
It's not just the push button valve body that's needed.
Posted By: qwkmopardan

Re: Small Block Pushbutton Trans on Big Block??? - 11/04/17 04:53 AM

JW Ultrabell. Cut you sm block bellhousing off and put a JW bell on. Bolts to the pump bolts.

Re: Small Block Pushbutton Trans on Big Block??? - 11/04/17 07:39 AM

Thanks for the ideas, fellas! Hope I trip over a big block case at a swap meet some time. lol
Posted By: GTSDart340

Re: Small Block Pushbutton Trans on Big Block??? - 11/04/17 08:21 AM

SMR makes an adapter,. No cutting required. It's a spacer plate between the block and trans.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Small Block Pushbutton Trans on Big Block??? - 11/04/17 01:15 PM

Easy swap, I've done may. Is it a 65 with a slip yoke? Otherwise you'll need a tail shaft and tail housing from a 65. Also upgrade to a 67 and up input shaft and reaction support (or a complete pump) to allow a current spline converter. I have 65 BB complete cores.
Doug
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Small Block Pushbutton Trans on Big Block??? - 11/04/17 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By dvw
Easy swap, I've done may. Is it a 65 with a slip yoke? Otherwise you'll need a tail shaft and tail housing from a 65. Also upgrade to a 67 and up input shaft and reaction support (or a complete pump) to allow a current spline converter. I have 65 BB complete cores.
Doug

This is the way most people go
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Small Block Pushbutton Trans on Big Block??? - 11/04/17 05:29 PM

I've used the SMR adapter (on another app) & it was a quality piece but I didn't like the added length (1/2" iirc) & the (included) pieces need to deal with that. I also have an unused JB ultrabell adapter (for another app) & I like the looks of it, you cut the current trans bell face off back to the pump bolt & toss it & bolt on the ultrabell in its place & it has the new bolt pattern on the front. You are in effect just reshaping the bell face to match the trans going against another eng type. Not sure if there might be an input shaft alignment issue but I'm sure it has been addressed (by them) if it is a potential.

Attached picture 023.jpg
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Small Block Pushbutton Trans on Big Block??? - 11/05/17 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By dvw
Doug

This is what I did to keep the push buttons in my car.

Re: Small Block Pushbutton Trans on Big Block??? - 11/06/17 02:57 AM

The small block trans is a '64. I think one of the BB trans that I have is a '65 - I'll have to check. I am in the planning stages now, so I was just wondering if it was even possible. Thanks for advising the options.
© 2024 Moparts Forums