Moparts

header choices

Posted By: marcjames

header choices - 10/07/17 01:35 PM

hello I have a 1967 gtx 440 power steering what headers are a good fitting choice and what are shorty headers thanks
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: header choices - 10/07/17 03:48 PM

http://ttiexhaust.com/
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: header choices - 10/07/17 05:42 PM

I hear TTI is a good fit tho pricey (what headers ain't) & have pretty unequal primary tube lengths. For shortie headers, try eBay or google for some pics. I hear the Mopar block hugger types do not fit well.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: header choices - 10/07/17 06:03 PM

TTi and Doug's. It was a tough choice for me between the two but they are VERY similar, IMOP. I went with Doug's and TTi's gear shift adapter for automatics fits as well

Attached picture Header D side.jpg
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: header choices - 10/08/17 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
I hear TTI is a good fit tho pricey (what headers ain't) & have pretty unequal primary tube lengths. For shortie headers, try eBay or google for some pics. I hear the Mopar block hugger types do not fit well.

The fitment on those stainless big block huggers are horrible. For $140 I rolled the dice and lost. The ports are way too big and leave very little sealing surface on a factory port head.

Re: header choices - 10/08/17 05:35 AM

Speedway motors has mandrel bends for cheap & I'd get some flat flanges & cut the holes to match the ports & cut the flange into 3 pieces & a pair of collectors. All you'd need is a chop saw/bench grinder to deburr & know a good welder.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: header choices - 10/08/17 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By marcjames
hello I have a 1967 gtx 440 power steering what headers are a good fitting choice and what are shorty headers thanks

Depends on what you are after. Easy installation? Great spark plug access? Easy access to work in the engine bay? Ground clearance? Bolts up like stock? and... How important is squeezing out torque and horsepower?

With a big block and B-body you have a decent amount of commercially made choices. Look at each, find pictures of them installed, etc and decide which ones are for you. The pipe diameters you want will depend on the rpm range you're most interested in.

Hooker Super Comps etc.
Dougs
TTI long tube
TTI shorty (sort-of stockish headpipe location but points more out)
Sanderson shorties (as far as fitting, maybe with a b-body)
Schumacher (This a tri-y)
Headers by Ed. (if you can find a set, easy bolt in, equal length, may have poor ground clearence)

I'm sure i've missed a few, but the point is look at each as each one has a different way to get around the steering and the starter etc.

Shorties are just that. Headers with very short primary tubes and usually short collects as well. You'ld think this would make them an easy fit, but that's not always so.

Re: header choices - 10/08/17 11:03 PM

yes the easiest fitting set bolts like stock anything other than my 67 hp manifolds they create to much HEAT in the engine bay not a racer just an easy cruiser thanks
Posted By: ahy

Re: header choices - 10/09/17 01:31 AM

I run TTI ceramic coated. Fit as advertised and no underhood heat issues... including long desert crossings and road race course. Have held up well for me for 15 years.

Check TTI website for fit details. I guess you will want 1 3/4" primaries for your application.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: header choices - 10/09/17 05:22 PM

TTis are BUTT expensive. Any header will work just take your time. I like Hooker Super comps, 2 piece, EASY to install but might be overkill depending on your build.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: header choices - 10/09/17 05:40 PM

yes the easiest fitting set bolts like stock anything other than my 67 hp manifolds they create to much HEAT in the engine bay not a racer just an easy cruiser thanks

Looking at this I would suggest you stay with the manifolds.
I doubt you will find headers any cooler under the hood.

I wonder if there is another issue creating heat...

Re: header choices - 10/12/17 12:42 PM

thanks you guys I am going to stay with my manifolds

Re: header choices - 10/12/17 03:29 PM

An option would be max wedge ex manifolds, smooth bends & larger passages I would assume with the 3" outlets. they are heavy & not cheap (~$1K) but they would flow more which is I think what you are after.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: header choices - 10/12/17 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
An option would be max wedge ex manifolds, smooth bends & larger passages I would assume with the 3" outlets. they are heavy & not cheap (~$1K) but they would flow more which is I think what you are after.

Max Wedge manifolds may hit the firewall on '66-up B bodies.
Motor location on the K member changed between '65 and '66.

Re: header choices - 10/12/17 04:31 PM

^^^ good info
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: header choices - 10/12/17 04:49 PM

thanks you guys I am going to stay with my manifolds

You never did say what heads you have. If you've got Edelbrock heads with the angled plugs you're going to have a very difficult time not burning through boots on number 7. I ran a set of C body manifolds on mine for a few hundred miles and just gave up after the third burn through. Because of my application there were no mass produced headers that would work. Ended up just having a set of shorty headers made by a local place.
Posted By: BossRide

Re: header choices - 10/13/17 03:10 AM

TTI for this guy. Went on without moving a thing, and I've had the starter out twice without unbolting anything but the starter. Love them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums